5 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Connecting 2 monitors

I am running WinXP Pro. I have an IBM ThinkPad T40 and, soon, a ThinkPad Mini-Dock (287810U), to which I'd like to connect a stand-alone 19" Dell flat-screen monitor.

Do I just plug the monitor's cable into the docking station? Is there any other hardware required? Will Plug and Play do the rest?

Since I'd like to use the Dell monitor only to view DVD movies -- that is, I want to use the laptop's monitor for everything else -- do I need to keep the monitor unplugged and only plug it in for DVDs? Thanks so much!

Uranium Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Connecting 2 monitors

You should be able to toggle between the two displays. I am not familiar with the T40 series, but on my older 390X there was a function button that you could use in conjunction with a function key to switch primary displays. Take a look at your ThinkPad's documentation for the proper configuration.

You may also want to consider using a separate hardware profile, for docked and undocked use, once your Mini-Dock arrives.
    -Mark

Platinum Lounger
    Thanks

In principle, you should be able to use the Fn+F7 combination to toggle between laptop, both and external viewing. (The Fn key is the one at the bottom left of the keypad.) That way, you shouldn't have to worry about whether the external monitor is on, off or in power-save mode (presuming it has the latter).

ThinkPads usually ship with a hardware configuration utility that can be set to appear in the icon tray (& often in the Control Panel as well). You can also use this if, for whatever reason, the keyboard combination doesn't suit.

On very many ThinkPads, you don't actually have to have a docking station to be able to use an external monitor in the scenario use you describe.

HTH
    Gre

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Thanks! I'll be back if I have more questions [img]/forums/images/smilies/smile.gif[/img]