Star Lounger
    Thanks

won't boot (XP professional)

Hello, I have an XP professional box that ran just fine on Friday and now when it boots up the Mouse just freezes on the center of the screen and I can't do a thing! I have swapped out memory, tried other keyboards and mice to no avail. Is there a way to manoever around XP using the keyboard and no mouse? Any ideas?

Thanks!

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Re: won't boot (XP professional)

When the mouse cursor sits dead in center screen, it's sometimes an indication of dead batteries in a cordless or optical mouse. You said you've tried other mice - what type, i.e. are batteries in the equation? I guess it's always possible that (if it's a PS/2 mouse) you could have a bad PS/2 port, but I've never seen that happen. I haven't done this very much, but yes, you can "get around" in WinXP using the normal keyboard movements, like TAB or SHIFT-TAB. See if you can logon that way. If not, you might be facing a bigger problem, like maybe a motherboard. I hope it turns out to be something a lot simpler!

Star Lounger
    Thanks

Hi there, I am using regular PS/2 port mice so there's no batteries involved. I have tried TAB or SHIFT-TAB but that doesn't work either. Any Ideas?

Thanks!
    Grady

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

This isn't sounding too promising. I just re-booted my machine to re-check my facts. I use the Welcome Screen to logon and the first press of the tab key underlines the "Turn Off...." phrase in the lower left corner. The second time I press tab, it opens the password entry box on the first user shown on screen. On the Welcome Screen, if you press CTRL-ALT-DEL twice, it will change to the standard logon window and have the last username already in the proper box and a blinking cursor in the password box. On this traditional screen, pressing TAB moves the highlight from one button to the next.

If you can't do any of this, it sounds like BOTH your mouse and keyboard PS/2 ports have stopped working. As I said, it's never happened to me before, so I don't know if that means dead-city for the motherboard or not. Hang in a little, will ya, to see if another Lounger chimes in here.

Star Lounger
    Thanks

I'm afraid you are correct in your diagnosis.....CTRL-ALT-DELETE doesn't even work. Odd thing is I remember the last time I used this machine there was a lot of static electricity in the office....My Partner was assembling some of those Big Wheels in the office and everything I touched gave me a shock which has never, ever happened before . Can static electricity damage a motherboard?

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

That's the conventional wisdom, although I don't know how much of a zap it takes to cause harm. The reason I ask that you hang in there for others to review this thread is that I don't know if there's anything you can do to recover from this bad scene. Obviously, the BIOS or processor are not dead, since the machine boots. But if both PS/2 ports are non-working, I don't know if there's anything you can do to recover. It could be that moving the machine out of the room temporarily, taking off the cover and grounding yourself and/or touching the case, etc..... You see where I'm going here - wandering aimlessly. Hang on.....

Uranium Lounger
    Thanks

Can you boot into safe mode successfully?

Try setting the BIOS to Failsafe Defaults and see if you can boot successfully, also.
    -Mark

Banned Member
    Thanks

Do you have a USB port you could try? They have PS/2 to USB connectors you could use. Most importantly, have you tried a different mouse?

Gold Lounger
    Thanks

Cowboydawg took the words right out of my mouth. And when that happens with hardware and software too I feel better. Most current USB Mice will give you a PS2 adapter but I don't know about vice-versa. And what kind of mouse--that way I might be able to look for issues on their site.

Appreciate Mark's bios info.

I wonder also about another piece of hardware in those ports. Is there something else you can test if you don't have another mouse handy.

SMBP

Gold Lounger
    Thanks

Also Grady--

This is pretty routine but any help from possibly updating the mouse driver from the manufacturer's site and is everything OK checking in Device Manager?

Ed. SMBP: Do you have the latest XP Bios update your OEM manufacturer has on their site or the mother board manufacturer has on their site--doesn't seem this would make the sudden difference but still?

SMBP

Platinum Lounger
    Thanks

From what you say neither the mouse nor the keyboard works.

As an exceptionally long shot, is it possible that you've taken the plugs for both out and replaced them in the wrong sockets? (If colour-coded, this is v. unlikely. But before this was the norm, we had an awful lot of trouble when assembling new PCs before determining which of two identical sockets was the one to use for the mouse...).

I would have expected some form of Power On Self Test beeping, if there was a real problem with either socket.
    <font face="Script MT Bold"><font color=blue><big><big>John</big></big></font color=blue></font face=script>

Ita, esto, quidcumque...

Banned Member
    Thanks

I was going to ask the same thing John, but he said it was working friday so I figured he hadn't messed with it.

Silver Lounger
    Thanks

Try powering down the PC completely, not just a power switch reboot. Pul the plug, count to twenty and plug 'er back in. Power the sysytem on.

If the keyboard and/or mouse ports are bad, you should hear a strong system "beep" or "beeps" while the system perform its "Power On Self Test" [POST] followed by a black screen message; something like: "000 Keyboard Failure!" or "000 Error, Keyboard Not Found".

If you determine that the PS2 connections have been toasted, borrow a USB keyboard / mouse and see if that gets you in. If not, may be time for a new motherboard.

Two more things you might check...

1) Are the lights on your keyboard working? Example: Caps Lock Indicator & Num Lock Indicator. Check to see if they light up or flash while your system is powering up.

2) Is it possible that someone may have moved the PC and caused the keyboard and mouse cables to be unplugged. Follow the cable from the PC all the way to the devices; sometimes extensions are used and the cables may have been unplugged under equipment, behind a desk, etc.

Good Luck.
    - Ricky