Lounger
    Thanks

PCI Simple Communications Controller

I just did a clean install of Win2K Professional and SP3 on my HP Pavilion 7920 (which originally came with Win ME).

The install went very smoothly except it did not recognize the PCI modem (Smart Modular Technologies model 90109). I installed the modem using the Control Panel's Add/Remove Hardware applet. It still did not function (diagnostics reported it was busy). The Device Manager shows the modem to be working. It is connected to COM1. Both Com1 and Com2 are enabled. I tried moving the modem to the other PCI slots -- got the same results -- working but busy.

The Device Manager shows that the PCI Simple Communications Controller was not working. I tried to install it from the Win2K disc and from the i386 folder for SP3 without success. This is probably keeping the modem from working. (This controller does not appear on other Win2K computers that I checked.)

All suggestions to get the modem working are appreciated.

Platinum Lounger
    Thanks

Re: PCI Simple Communications Controller

If you haven't already tried removing the PCI Simple Communications Controller from your system, then do so. If it should really be working then it will reinstall itself.

A possibility - given what you are reporting about other systems - is that whatever the Device Manager is believing to be the PCI Simple Communications Controller is in fact something else and the device requires different drivers.

HTH
    Gre

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,058 Times in 927 Posts

Chuck, Have you looked at the HP site for Win2k drivers for the modem? Win2k is very picky about drivers.

Joe
    Joe

Lounger
    Thanks

Thanks, unkamunka & Joe, for the suggestions. As it turns out, the modem was built specifically for HP and the PCI Simple Communications Controller is actually the modem. Although HP does not recommend replacing Win ME with Win 2K of this Pavilion, they did provide the Win 2K drivers for several modems. Through trial and error, I was finally able to get the modem to work. Thanks again for helping.

ChuckD

Lounger
    Thanks

Thanks, unkamunka and Joe , for the suggestions. As it turns out, the modem was built specifically for HP and the PCI Simple Communications Controller is actually the modem. Although HP does not recommend replacing Win ME with Win 2K of this Pavilion, they did provide the Win 2K drivers for several modems. Through trial and error, I was finally able to get the modem to work. Thanks again for helping.

ChuckD