Bronze Lounger
    Thanks

Problem with Titles (Outlook 2000 SR-1, WXP)

Here is a strange one with Outlook Contacts. I found one of my contacts not in the proper sort order, i.e. the name appeared at the top of the alphabetical list. After experimenting a bit I found that upon entering the surname "Herr" in the Contacts form Outlook treats "Herr" as a title (German for "Mr." I suppose) rather than the actual surname. Thus, it doesn't sort the name into the proper order (it appears at the top of the list).

Any suggestions on how to force Outlook accept Herr as a surname rather than a title? Sometimes the "helps" built into Microsoft's products are not really very helpful -- at least until there is some way to defeat them.

Star Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Problem with Titles (Outlook 2000 SR-1, WXP)

Dear Chuck,

In the "File As" box, type the name as you would like it filed. I tried what you did, typing "Herr Bob Sullivan", and Outlook filed it as Sullivan, Bob. But I clicked in the "File As" box and corrected it to "Herr, Bob". Now it's filed under the "H"s. (Well, until I deleted it anyway.)

Bronze Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Problem with Titles (Outlook 2000 SR-1, WXP)

I found that I couldn't just change the File As to Herr, John. That didin't work -- at least it didn't when I had John Herr in the name box. However, I noticed that upon entering John Herr in the Full Name box up came a "Check Full Name" dialog box with John Herr entered as the Title (rather than the name). So I deleted it in the Title box and entered the correct name in the Name boxes. That worked!

It seems we learn a new wrinkle every day.

Thanks for your help.