5 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Install Office 2003 and keep XP (2003 and XP)

I am sure that this is discussed in depth somewhere. I even got to use the search function for the first time in months, but did not find anything. I would like to keep only Access 2002 and install the whole office 2003. Any pointers on how to do this?
    Thanks

Uranium Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Install Office 2003 and keep XP (2003 and XP)

I think the safest bet would be a parallel installation of Windows, with Office XP in one partition adn Office 2003 in the next. Otherwise, you are going to run the risk of sharing incompatible file versions, and you will not have a pure development environment.

Could you expound on why you would prefer to keep the older version of Access?
    -Mark

Thanks

Zave,

Although the suggestion that Mark made is indeed the safest method, I did not do it that way. Microsoft says that as long as Office 2003 is installed in a <font color=blue>different</font color=blue> directory than Office XP (Access XP), then there should be no problems - i.e you don't want to install 2003 to the default directory that the install suggests. You will have to do a <font color=blue>custom</font color=blue> installation of 2003 and tell it specifically that you do not want to upgrade the existing installation. You then have the option of specifying which of the earlier versions of each program that you wish to retain and which you wish to discard. You can also specify the directory for the new installation. I followed this procedure and to date, have had no side effects.

On another computer, I currently have Access 97, Access 2000, and Office XP installed and running compatibly. But again, all are installed in different directories. There were some issues between Access XP and Access 2000 in this scenario which some users were able to resolve and others were not. I guess I was one of the fortunate ones.

As to Mark's question, while Access 2003 will save in Access XP or 2000 format, newer features in 2003 which you may have used will not be available if you distribute an application to a user who has an earlier version installed. This can cause problems.
    John
    A Child's Mind, Once Stretched by Imagination...
    Never Regains Its Original Dimensions

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Thanks John. A further search on microsoft's sitee included exact instructions how to do it.
    I am even thinking of leaving Word XP also, just to be able to refernce the different VB models correctly when shipping out files.

Super Moderator
    Thanks

If you are dealing with those kind of issues, you might want to look into Virtual PC, which lets you maintain several versions in their own isolated environment. That way you don't get nailed with an install process overwriting a DLL, such as has happened with XP. You can read all about it here. We had good luck with it, though we haven't tried the 2004 version.
    Wendell