Star Lounger
    Thanks

Templates not available in Start Menu (Office XP)

I've just migrated from Office 2000 to Office XP. In 2000 I was able to access all my templates from the Windows XP Start menu but I can now only access my templates from within Word or Excel using the Task Pane. The original short cuts on the Start menu have been removed. Is it no longer possible to access my templates from the Start menu?
    I'd be very grateful for any advice on this.

Uranium Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Templates not available in Start Menu (Office

I don't have those versions, but the shortcuts on your start menu should be preserved with an upgrade of Windows. In any event, I would do this:

1. Open two Explorer windows.
    2. Navigate to your start menu in one of them (or to any subfolder of the Start Menu). e.g. C:WindowsStart Menu
    3. In the other Explorer window, navigate to your template folder. e.g. "C:WINDOWSApplication DataMicrosoftTemplates"
    4. Select all the templates that you wish to access from the start menu (Ctrl+Click each one).
    5. Click & drag the templates to the start menu or subfolder. They will then be shortcuts in your start menu.

Cheers,

Thanks

Re: Templates not available in Start Menu (Office XP)

<P ID="edit" class=small>(Edited by jscher2000 on 31-Dec-03 14:42. Added ZIP file)</P>Office XP has the "New Office Document" shortcut, but from poking around in its properties, I can't see any way to create it manually. You could see if perhaps it was added to an odd spot on the Programs sub-menu rather than where you expected it, or try a "repair" of the Office install, or maybe a "custom" install.

Added: If you're adventurous, you can try my copy of the shortcut. It's a tiny file contained in the attached ZIP archive. Its internal contents are gibberish, so I can't tell whether it depends on any particular directory structure.
    Attached Files Attached Files

Star Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Templates not available in Start Menu (Office XP)

Thanks to you both for for ideas. In the end I decided on an 'all or nothing strategy'! I removed Office XP and re-installed Office 2000 so I then had the shortcuts back on my start menu. I copied the shortcuts to a temporary directory and then deleted Office 2000. I then re-installed Office XP, clicked on the saved shortcuts and found that they worked! So I pinned the shortcuts to the start menu and everything now works OK. Don't ask me why; I've no idea!