Star Lounger
    Thanks

Fax headaches (2002 SP1)

Hi I tried sending a fax from an excel spreadsheet using file-print and choosing fax as the printer. When I choose a fax recipient from my address book and check use dialing rules with my only location selected, the dialer insists on dialing the area code even though it is a local call and the area code is the same as mine and the one stored in the "home" location. Help! TIA and Happy New Year! J

Platinum Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Fax headaches (2002 SP1)

Go to the Phone and Modem Options applet in Control Panel, choose edit for your local area code and see whether you need to uncheck a box. HTH
    Gre

Star Lounger
    Thanks

Thanks, but I already looked there. My understanding is I shouldn't check these since there are no special prefixes to dial at all. Just omit the local area code when dialing numbers within the same area.

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Not too sure what part of the world you live in but in my neck of the woods, telephone numbers have been exhausted to the point where the single area code of 416 (Toronto and Greater Area) has been broken down into a few additional codes. The Greater Toronto area became 905 a few years ago while Toronto has retained the 416 code. Toronto has since blown their limits on 416 and has now been expanded to include 647.

With the new arrangement (I live in GTA) I have to include the area code when dialing friends in Toronto (416) or even my neighbour across the street with the same area code as myself.

I would expect that current day software is taking the expansion of area codes into consideration and I would second unkamunka's suggestion to add it to the menu. No harm in trying. <g>

Cheers,
    Regards,
    Bob

Star Lounger
    Thanks

Thanks guys! Creating a rule for my area code to dial the number only worked.