Thanks

Clear passwords locks up IE (IE 6)

My wife is trying to sort out a problem getting registered using .NET passport in connection with starting to use MS Money. (She's using IE6 and Win XP Home.) Filled in an online request for help, and MS advise clearing passwords in Internet Options / Content / Autocomplete... Trouble is, whenever she clicks on the clear passwords button, it seems to lock up IE. Task manager shows IE not responding and CPU usage at 100%. On a search in Google under 'Clear passwords not responding' the first hit that comes up is someone who says that he solved a similar problem by first clicking 'clear forms'. I'm not sure my wife wants to do this as she is not confident of having all the user IDs etc to hand that would then not autocomplete for her. (I assume that is what would happen if she clicked 'clear forms' - am I right?) Any other suggestions?

Ian

Gold Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Clear passwords locks up IE (IE 6)

Ian--

I'd do this:

1) Sometimes with passport, I find I have to play the game of going to www.passport.com and clicking sign in and then sign out. Don't know why--it works. They insist on sometimes requiring a passport sign in to hotmail that is different from the email address I use to get my other passport related MS newsletters, registrations for meetings, ect.

I'd troubleshoot the 100% CPU use by:

1) Running Ad Aware and Spybot. If necessary then something like HiJack This! or run spyware guard to be pre-emptive.
    2) I'd also run System File Checker. It might help. I don't know what OS is in play here. I remember you had Win 98 I beleive. It has SFC.
    3) Also take a look at Task Manager if it is on the OS you have and see what processes might be using excessive CPU.

SMBP

Thanks

You're right, I have Win 98, but on my wife's PC, the one in question, it is Win XP, and the 100% CPU usage is specifically when she tries to clear passwords. She can't log in at passport, the problem being that she is trying to get a password account, but it keeps saying she already has one, because it remembers that another family member has logged in to one from the same PC. Hence the MS advice to clear passwords, but that is causing difficulties.

Ian

Platinum Lounger
    Thanks

Have you tried going to the Win98 boot and clearing passwords there - and THEN going back to getting an account on the WinXP boot?
    Gre

Thanks

No, you misunderstand. The PC in question just has Win XP. The mention of Win 98 was only because SMBP remembered I had Win 98, but that is on a different PC altogether.

Ian

Platinum Lounger
    Thanks

But have you trid clearing passwords on the other part of the machine - no matter which OS it is running?
    Gre

Thanks

Sorry, am I being dense here? What do you mean by the other part of the machine?

Ian

Platinum Lounger
    Thanks

> because it remembers that another family member has logged in to one from the same PC

Does this not mean you have two User Accounts on the machine? On this basis, you need to try logging on to the other account and clearing the passwords - provided, of course, that you have the details backed up.
    Gre

Thanks

Actually, the other person (not a regular user of the PC) has not logged in using a separate user account on the PC. But does any of this help with the problem, which is IE locking up and using 100% CPU resources when we try to use the 'clear password' button?

Ian

Platinum Lounger
    Thanks

It appears that your shared problem is trying to have two passports on the same WinXP User Account. Have you tested setting up another User Account on WinXP and then applying for a new passport? If that doesn't work, then you can always delete the new account. If it does work, then you may need to look at configuring WinXP so that you both have access to all the same functions and data - but from different User Accounts.
    Gre