Gold Lounger
    Thanks

Adding MS Office tools from Office XP to MOS2003 (MOS 2003)

MOS 2003 doesn't have MOS Photo Editor and a number of the features that were in Office Tools in Office 2K and Office XP. Is there any downside to adding MS Office Tools from Office XP in a custom install? I know that you can have coexisting Office applications from different versions with the exception of Outlook, and you're supposed to install the oldest first, but all I want to do is add something that MOS 2003 doesn't have that 2K and XP did--[/b]Office Tools.[/b]

SMBP

Super Moderator
    Thanks

Re: Adding MS Office tools from Office XP to MOS2003 (MOS 2003)

The features that are NOT in Office 2003 are NOT licensed to run with any version except the version they came with. This is standard and things do and will continue to change with EVERY version of any Microsoft product.

What is it you do NOT like about MS Office Picture Manager?

Now running HP Pavilion a6528p, with Win7 64 Bit OS.

Gold Lounger
    Thanks

I didn't realize there were a set of Tools in MOS 2003. I thought they were missing because I had read there was no Photo Editor. I haven't tried it--how do you like it compared with the previous version? I can compare them now. Thanks for reminding me--I understand a set of tools always comes with Office, and will either be kept or evolve and improve now. I never understood why the Tools didn't automatically install with Office XP and I guess 2K requiring you to go back and get them if you wanted them in--they do with MOS 2003 I find the licensing issue though really confusing but thanks for bringing it to my attention.

I'm not sure what you mean about NOT licensed to run with any other version. I can see where there would be a problem for them with a small business or larger swapping around parts of each maybe on multiple machines using install to a desktop and laptop--maybe. But I bought XP and I have 2003. How am I violating my license if I use XP on the legal number of my machines? I can put Office XP and 2003 on a "PC and one portable device" each according to the EULA as I read it. I find this a little confusing, and hard to enforce--I bought Microsoft Office Tools XP--I'm supposed to stop using them because I got a new model?

I read the 2003 EULA and don't see where it says I can't run Office 2002 tools with it that I bought. This may touch on that in the MOS 2003 EULA:
    __________________________________________________ ____________________________
    11) Separation of Components: The software is licensed as a single product. Its component parts may note be separated for use on more than one device.
    __________________________________________________ ___________________________

What adds to the confusion is that MS has more than one MSKB referencing using more than one version with instructions on how as does Woody's book Post 312931 and the MS Press book:

828956: Running Multiple Versions of Microsoft Office with Office 2003

Also Eric Laurence, Program Manager Assistance and Worldwide Service for Microsoft Office, has several posts on newsgroups on using components of multiple versions at the same time one one machine--See Post 308533 and Post 312178.

I also see that I may not create "obscene or scandolous works as defined by the federal law at the time the work is created." I guess that would be the good 'ole 3 part test in [i]Miller v. California</u> 413 US 15 (1973), Burger, J. Brennan in Dissent. I honestly don't think that in reality this part of the license can be uniformly applied or understood. I don't expect there will be a lot of litigation referencing it.

SMBP
    Attached Images Attached Images

Super Moderator
    Thanks

A lot of these Tools are licensed from another company, such as, I believe that Photo Editor was licensed from Kodak as part of Office 2002 but NOT part of 2003.

Now running HP Pavilion a6528p, with Win7 64 Bit OS.

Gold Lounger
    Thanks

I didn't realize that. Now I understand much better. But it still confuses me a little because much of the time--and you could name many many more of these instances than I could--I'd have to look them up--MS will acquire products--Visio, Live Meeting, Business Contact Manager so that they can include them in their product or turn it in a direction or offer the feature. Part of the reason Live Meeting wasn't in Office was that it was bought too late I believe. That may not be correct. Then in those cases, they become all Microsoft's but now I see there are situations where they aren't MS. I remember we had a post where there was a Kodak product from a past version that someone wanted to be able to get because it was no longer offered and add to Office that had been in Office 2000 it I remember correctly.

Thanks.

SMBP