2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

install new hd and xp (win 98se)

To all the people in the know,
    I currently have a Dell dimension pen. 3 , 450 and I have a 13gig hd. It currently has only 2 gigs left open. I was considering getting a maxtor 80 or 120 and installing as a second hd. What I am wondering is, is there a way to put xp on the new hd, and make it the bootable and then transfer all my software and data currently on the old 13 gig to a patrician on the new drive? Any and all help greatly appreciated.
    tia
    Bill

Uranium Lounger
    Thanks

Re: install new hd and xp (win 98se)

All new hard drives ship with the software needed to make older systems see all of the new space. How well that works with Windows XP, I have no idea, but I will say this: you are setting yourself up for disappointment if you run XP on a process that is any less than about 700MHz. There is simply too much overhead. You would do well to consider a replacement PC and use the existing one for other purposes.
    -Mark

Banned Member
    Thanks

I have to agree with Mark. I don't think your going to like the way WinXP runs on a Proccesor of that size. I know, I have tried it and it's slower then Christmas.

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks

In my inventory of PCs I have an old Dell Dimension Pentium II XPS266 with 256MB of RAM and 2 HD... an 8GB (primary) and a 30GB (secondary).

I happened to have WinXP Home that I had ditched when I decided than I preferred the Pro version and so decided, as a test, to try it on the XPS266. I wiped out everything on the 8GB HD and performed a clean install of WinXP Home. I expected the worst. However, to my surprise, WinXP Home runs well on the XPS266. I then installed an wireless adaptor and set the beast up in the basement for any guests that just want to access the Internet and perform non-significant tasks.

The key words here are "non-significant-tasks" since in today's environment and demands, the XPS266 would be expected to fail.

Albeit that the XPS266 and WinXP are currently meeting the needs of my guests, I would certainly support Mark and Cowboy's suggestion that your beast should be "spruced" up... especially if it is your primary PC and you expect to do a lot of things.

Cheers,
    Regards,
    Bob

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Mark , Cowboy and Bob
    Thanks guys for all the information....not exactly what I was hoping to hear, however, better hear it now then to have problems later. I guess I will just slap the new hd into the case and stay with keeping this system win98. I will have to wait till my kids graduate college for the better system... only couple more years to go. Of course we all know by that time Mr. Bill will have new os to work with.lol
    thanks again, your help guys it is greatly appreciated.
    Bill