Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    5 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Create two databases from one (XP)

<P ID="edit" class=small>(Edited by Jon_Rick on 02-Jan-04 10:33. )</P>Some years ago a fellow Lounger created the attached* database for me. I initially wanted it to contains two inventories: (1) books and (2) quotations and factoids; now, I'd like to seperate the two.

So, I'd like to remove all the quotations and factoids stuff from the database and to create a new database, just like the one attached, with all the quotations and factoids stuff. Does anyone have the inclination or knowledge to do this?

Also, does anyone know what the "Change Switchboard Items" button is supposed to do? When I click it, I receive the message, "Command not available."

Thanks so much! Happy New Year!

* Unfortunately, the database is 1.5 MB, too large to upload to the Lounge. And for some reason I can't access my Web site at this time to upload the database there. I can easily e-mail you the file, though.

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Create two databases from one (XP)

You can't attach databases directly anyway, only zipped ones, and we probably don't want to see the entire database.
    <UL><LI>Make a copy of the database and work with that.
    <LI>Remove all database objects (tables, queries, forms, reports, macros and modules) that are not relevant to the problem.
    <LI>In the remaining table(s), remove most records - leave only the minimum number necessary to demonstrate the problem.
    <LI>Remove or modify data of a confidential nature.
    <LI>Do a compact and repair (Tools/Database Utilities).
    <LI>Make a zip file containing the database; it should be below 100KB.
    <LI>Attach the zip file to a reply.[/list]Access has a utility to create a switchboard form. If you convert a database from an older version of Access, you may get the errror you mention - see ACC2002: "Command Not Available" Error on Converted Switchboard Form for an explanation and a solution for this problem.

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Hi Hans,

Thanks for your reply. Compacting and repariring shrunk the file to 828KB, which I was able to upload to http://www.msnusers.com/3l69l7h4qg5r2if8dt...Documents/Books 2.mdb.

I didn't remove anything because I didn't know which parts are irrelevant. Thanks!

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Accessing that site requires having an MSN Passport, something I refuse to acquire. Can't you create a zip file below 100 KB and attach that to a post?

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks

I understand. It comes to 126 KB zipped. Let me see if I can post it somewhere else...

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Saving the database in Access 97 format will reduce the size considerably. (Tools | Database Utilities | Conver Database | To Access 97 Format...)

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks

You're not gonna believe this, but it's 99.4 KB (101,829 bytes); its "size on disk" is 128 KB (131,072 bytes)...

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Okay, I finally was able to access my Web site and upload it there:

http://students.hamilton.edu/2005/jrick/Books.mdb

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Did you have a special reason for posting an mdb file of over 800 KB instead of a 100 KB zip file? I happen to have ADSL, so it was no big problem, but many loungers are still on dial-up...

Books and Quotations/Factoids both use the Contributors and Switchboard Items tables and the Switchboard form; the rest of the objects can be assigned to one of the two databases. I have attached an empty version of the Book database (WARNING: the tables are empty, except for the Switchboard Items table)
    Attached Files Attached Files

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

And here is the empty Quotation database (WARNING: the tables are empty except for the Switchboard Items table.)
    Attached Files Attached Files

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks

<P ID="edit" class=small>(Edited by Jon_Rick on 02-Jan-04 18:50. Question two.)</P>Hi Hans,

Thank you so much! In response to your post:

First, sorry; that was my mistake.

Second, under Reports, after clicking "Books by Contributor," I receive the message, "Run-time error '2421': You entered an expression that has no value." As it happens, the same thing happens with the original (big) database. Do you know what's wrong?

Third, I had a significant number of Contributors, Publishers, Contributions, Subjects, etc. How do I import them back in the new database?

Thanks Hans! BTW, in light of all the help you've given me on my various posts, is there a charity I can make a donation in your name to? Perhaps I can make a donation to the Lounge?

Best regards,

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

In the database you posted, the record source of the report is empty (because the Books table is empty). As soon as you have some data, the report should work OK.

The Lounge accepts no donations (although you can support the Lounge by clicking the Google ads at the bottom of the page.). All people who contribute to the Lounge are volunteers; I appreciate your suggestion of donating something to a charity, but I don't feel it should be in my name.

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks

> In the database you posted, the record source of the report is empty (because the Books table is empty). As soon as you have some data, the report should work OK.

I'm confused. http://students.hamilton.edu/2005/jrick/books.mdb contains many contributions, contributors, subjects, etc...

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Yes, but the Books table is empty.

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks

I know; I'm not referring to the Books table, but to the contributions, contributors, subjects, etc. tables, which I'd like to import into the new databases. Thanks!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast