Star Lounger
    Thanks

ocr in Office XP (Office XP)

The Office XP software has a very useful OCR system but I can't find out how to use it from within Word. Scans are fine from outside Word and the result is then imported into a new Word document. There doesn't seem to be a way of accessing the MS OCR software and adding some scanned text into the current document without saving and shutting down the current document . I'm probably missing something here so I would be very grateful for some help.

Super Moderator
    Thanks

Re: ocr in Office XP (Office XP)

The Microsoft Office Document Imaging (ODI) application isn't something I've personally used, but my understanding is that it runs as a standalone application, and doesn't expose it's object so you can manipulate it from another application. So you are more or less stuck with doing something with VBA to simply start the application, at which point it would become the active application and do the scanning you want. But you should be able to start the ODI application, and then cut and paste scanned text into an open Word document. Hope this helps.
    Wendell

Star Lounger
    Thanks

Re: ocr in Office XP (Office XP)

Wendell
    Thank you for that. I will certainly have a fiddle with VBA but the 'problem' isn't really a problem because, as you suggest, there are simple ways round it.
    Interesting though. Thanks again.