New Lounger
    Thanks

pc restarts automatically

Hi,

I have a problem and I hope you guys out there can help. My PC restarts automatically and at random intervals. Any suggestions on this? Could it be hardware or software related problems?

If it's hardware, what could be the problem? A loose power connecter (the one from power supply to motherboard)? A dying power supply? Problems with the motherboard?

If it's a software problem, I reckon I'll just format the hd and re-install everything from scratch. Or any better suggestions?

Please help. Thanks.

Uranium Lounger
    Thanks

Re: pc restarts automatically

Since we have a lack of clues at this point, try booting into Safe Mode first and see if the problem recurs. You did not state how often the "random intervals" were, is it once a day, many times a day, once a week.....?

Go into your system's BIOS (watch the prompts when starting up for the correct keystroke to enter SETUP) and set it to Fail Safe Defaults. That entry does not exist in all BIOS chips, but it is in many of them, so it is worth trying. It may disable USB devices and other items, so be aware - this is normal behaviour.

For the next step if the first two do not yield any clues, I am going to suggest that you remove as many hardware devices as possible from the machine and run it "clean." If you have more than one stick of RAM, remove all but one. Ditto the sound card, and any other non-essential devices. Unplug CD-ROM drives and hard drives that you do not boot from.

If your PC continues to reboot in this stripped down state, it is likely hardware related.
    -Mark

New Lounger
    Thanks

Mark, thanks for the suggestions. Random interval refers to many times a day.

Uranium Lounger
    Thanks

Ah, good - sort of. At least you will not have to wait long to see if your changes make a difference. Let us know how things proceed!
    -Mark