JimD

adding a new record

I am running Office 2000 (without the revision). I cannot add a new record (row to my table)on my data base. It's not like I am a novice, but this stumps me. Does the SR1-a correct this problem, or do I have a bug? Thanks.

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Re: adding a new record

What specifically are you doing? Are you trying to add the record by clicking on the NewRecord navigation button or tabbing out of the last record, or are you trying to use a form or query to add the record? You haven't really provided enough information to get a useful answer.
    Charlotte

JimD

Hello, thanks for the reply. Well, the thing I think that is causing the problem is that I am using autonumber to help organize the order of the books. I am trying to use the NewRecord button to insert a new record between autonumbers 7 & 8, and all it does is send me to to the end of the table (way down to #576) I am guessing that the autonumber will not let me do so. I would think that it would just reorganize all of the autonumbers below where I want to do the insertion. Or, is there a way to disable this?

Do you know if this is a bug that SR1-a is supposed to fix? Thanks again for your help.

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Hi Jim:
    This isn't a bug, it's the way autonumber works. When you assign autonumber to a field you give up the ability to enter numbers of your own. The whole idea is to prevent even the possibility of duplicating a number. Autonumber is generally used to provide a unique primary key. It's not good practice to use it as a meaningful field such as Customer Number or Invoice Number etc. For a more detailed discussion, check this <A target="_blank" HREF=http://www.wopr.com/cgi-bin/w3t/showthreaded.pl?Cat=&Board=acc&Number=16701&page=& view=&sb=&vc=1#Post16701>thread</A> One other thing you should be aware of, if you ever use replication, the Autonumbers will become quite bizarre and unmanageable as a meaningful field.