4 Star Lounger
    Thanks

CD-ROM only reads music/InCD

I have a computer running Windows 2000. I have a CD-ROM (Yamaha ????) and a rather generic CD-RW. Both will play music CDs just fine. The CD-RW plays CD-RWs and InCDs just fine.

But if I try to play a software disk, like my MS Office CD or a CD that came with my new printer, it does not detect the CD. The light comes on the drive itself, and it spins, but if I click on the drive in Windows Explorer, I get the message:

(Drive Letter): is not accessible. Incorrect function.

This has been happening for the last several months. I guess I've found ways of working around it until now.

Any ideas?

Thanks!!
    Troy

Thanks

Re: CD-ROM only reads music/InCD

With laptop computers we usually pop out the drive and try it in another computer to see if it's a hardware problem or a driver problem. Harder to do with a desktop computer, but the same principle holds: it could be either and it's more difficult to untangle without a fresh, working system to try it in.

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,059 Times in 928 Posts

Troy, What OS are you running? Have you checked for driver or firmware updates for the CD-ROM?

Joe
    Joe

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Unfortunately, this is on a desktop. Both have worked correctly in the past.

The fact that both the CD-ROM and CD-RW drives are acting the same make me think it is probably a driver or windows 2000 issue.

Troy

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks

F.Y.I.
    Found an interesting post regarding similar problems with my CD-ROM drive:

http://www.hardwareanalysis.com/content/topic/1521

One of the conclusions was that it was a hardware problem. I must admit I'm a little skeptical since I started having the same problem with an totally different drive, a CD-RW drive made by some other manufacturer, at about the same time.

I can't help but wonder if there was some "Windows 2000 or IE patch" that caused the problem.

Troy