4 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Modelling Problem (2000)

Hi, I am having problems finding a solution for a form modelling issue. I have a parent and child form. On the child part I have sychronised combo boxes, the first of which shows it's record depending on a selection of one of two options, the first combo then determines the records shown in the second. All works well but of course each time requery is run then entire records requery, not just the current active record on the sub form but all the previous ones for that sub in the current parent. In summary I want in a continous form environment for my user to select (not bothered how they select) A or B, then depedning on A or B certain records show in combo 1, then depending on what is selected in combo 1 certain records show in combo 2. I feel I am okay with the queries needed to do this and attaching 'requery' to the necessary after update events. My problem lies with how to prevent the requery running on all the sub records for the given parent, how can I have the requery run just on the active sub record? If I can't what alternative solution would you suggest.

Hope this makes sense. Many thanks Darren.

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Modelling Problem (2000)

In a continuous form, there is really only one set of controls, independent of the number of records displayed. If you have a combo box on a continuous form, it has the same row source in all records. The only things that can be different from record to record are the displayed value if it is dependent on the record source of the continuous form, and in Access 2000 and up, conditional formatting dependent on the record source.

So you can't use a continuous form for your purposes.

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Thanks Hans, I was beginning to suspect as much, so if I had a text box tied to the source and the text gets it;s values from selection in the combo that would work? I will give it a go in any event.

Thanks Darren.

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

I don't understand how a text box can be "tied to the source" and at the same time "the text gets it;s values from selection in the combo". Isn't that mutually exclusive?

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

If you have a bound textbox, why would you populate it from a combobox used to select records? For that matter, if the combobox is used to fill in data, rather than select records, you still wouldn't populate a bound textbox from it because you don't normally store derived information that is dependent on other fields in the record. Does this have anything to do with your question in this thread? If so, it would be better to keep the topic in a single thread and keep both the explanation and the responses in one place.
    Charlotte