Star Lounger
    Thanks

Analysis Toolpack problem

I used to have Abalysis Toolpack installed as I needed the "E-DATE" function; however it no longer works, (I suspect a problem with my registry). Everything else in Excel (Excel 97 SR-2) works ok. Can anyone give me an idea either:
    1 How to fix my problem so I can load (or Excel will recognise) the Analysis Toolpack, or
    2 A workaround for the E-Date function (I need to add a year to a given date).

Thanks

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Analysis Toolpack problem

As far as I know, the Analysis Toolpak is an Add-in. it must be installed via Tools >> Add-ins and check the small box left to the Analysis Toolpak. There is an analysis toolpak for vba too, so that you can use (after setting the reference right) the additional functions in vba. After installing the add-in, the analysis toolpak tools should be available via Tools >> data analysis and additional worksheetfunctions should be available via the function wizard. If this doesn't work, then I recommend you to do a search on the microsoft website, for the analysis toolpak.

Gold Lounger
    Thanks

The correct function name is EDATE() and not E-DATE(), just in case you are entering the - sign. Does EOMONTH(), WEEKNUM() or NETWORKDAYS() work, as they are also in the toolpak. If the toolpak is not available go to Tools, Add-ins where you should be able to select it by ticking the adjacent box.

Andrew C

Star Lounger
    Thanks

Thanks for those responses. I have installed the add-in using the installation CDROM, and I am using the function correctly (it used to work, when Excel recognised it was there!). The problem is that now, for reasons I'm not sure about, Excel doesn't recognise that the add-in is there at all, so the function doesn't work. It may be something simple, like my Office 97 setup is damaged, or something more complicated. I'm reluctant to tamper with that, or remove and re-install the whole of Office 97, as I'll lose many of my settings. Is there another way to get the EDATE() function?

rdl

Gold Lounger
    Thanks

Just because the Add-in is installed does not meant it is active. Check the Tools, Add-Ins and see if you can see a reference to the Analysis Toolpak. If you can make sure that the box beside it is ticked. However, if you still cannot get it to work you could try the following formula to do the same as EDATE().<pre> =DATE(YEAR(A1)+1, MONTH(A1)+0, DAY(A1)+0)</pre>

As it is above, it will add 1 year to the date in A1. You can change Month+0 to any number to add that amount of months. The same applies to days, or any combination of the 3.

Hope that helps, and that you get your Toolpak Addin working.

Andrew C

Star Lounger
    Thanks

Andrew, thanks for that - very much appreciated. It solves my immediate problem by dispensing with the need for EDATE. Out of interest, I have installed Analysis toolpack, but Excel doesn't recognise it - it doesn't appear in Tools>Addins, so I can't activate it!

Thanks for all those who responded. I will need to resolve the setup problem sometime, but for now I can get working again.

rdl

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks

The fact that it doesn't appear in the "available add-ins" list does not mean that the add-in is not on your hard disk. Use the "Browse" button to locate the add-in, and you can add the add-in to the list. (Just try to find out where the Analysis Toolpak add-in is located: search for a file called FUNCRES.XLA)

Star Lounger
    Thanks

Thanks for pointing me in the right direction - I didn't know what files to look for. It wasn't on my hard disk (Office setup said it had installed it, but it obviously hadn't). However, with your help I located the relevant files on my Office installation CDROM and manually copied them across - and now it works. My setup is obviously messed up, but as it doesn't affect anything else I'll leave well alone!

Thanks for all your help.