5 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Update unsuccessful (Office 2003 Standard)

I have installed Office 2003 Standard upgrade. I then went to the Office update Web site and downloaded 4 updates. Office 2003 Critical update KB828041, Outlook 2003 Junk email filter KB832333, Office XP Web Services KB812708 (I use FP XP), and MS Project 2002 Security Patch KB822211. I then get a report that the installation was unsuccessful. I have repeated this 4 times with the same result. Twice I tried just installing the Office 2003 updates. This also failed. All Office applications were closed during the update, and I have restarted my computer and gone directly to the update site without starting any Office programs. This also failed.

Thanks

Re: Update unsuccessful (Office 2003 Standard)

I'm having a vague memory that someone posted a fix for failed updates. It involved deleting a certain log file, I think. However, this could have been for Windows Update... Maybe try searching this board and see if you find anything (it was during the past 3 months).

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Tried that and did not find anything.

Gold Lounger
    Thanks

I'm not aware of specific issue in getting the MOS 2003 Updates in that they've addressed in a KB but I wonder if you could use a command line installation as a workaround. I put in the same udpates, but didn't have any problems--also here's something on a troubleshootiing log that may help if it can be applied to Office Updates:

197147Command-Line Switches For IExpress Software Update Packages

826511: HOW TO: Use an Office 2003 Setup Log File to Troubleshoot Setup Problems

SMBP

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks

MS Tech support had me manually download the update files from the KB articles and install the updates that way. It seems to work OK and Office Update show the patches as being installed.

Super Moderator
    Thanks

Go back to the Office update site. When you see the listing of updates, select the "More About" and then on the page displayed download and install from there.

I have had this happen now on 3 machines, but the manual work around has worked on all of them.

Now running HP Pavilion a6528p, with Win7 64 Bit OS.

Gold Lounger
    Thanks

Jim--

This might help you. Also if you subscribe to the Microsoft Technet Security Email Service, they'll directly email you links to those update KB's automatically. In the future they are going to incorporate Office Update into an improved Windows Update according to newsletters and enews sites. I don't know if this is exactly what happened to you or you got a somewhat different error message or scenario but Microsoft acknowledges problems with their update site process stopping unexpectedly in this KB suggesting to clear your cache, default your security settings on the IE toolbar so that [/b]the Office Update Active X control can load successfully,[/b] and to delete the Office update detection folder:

304498: After You Click "Check for Updates" on the Office Web site, Update Process Quits Unexpectedly

SMBP