Gold Lounger
    Thanks

Need Advice on Advanced Tab Security Settings (IE6 SP2 Win XP SP2)

I would appreciate some advice on what security settings to use on the IE Advanced tab. There are scores of websites with screenshots, but I'd like to hear how people here set them. I'm talking about the Security List on that tab including SSL 2.0, 3.0, TLS 1.0 because most of those checkboxes use terms I don't understand well. I'm trying not to miss any I should have checked, or check any that are going to be so overly protective they compromise my viewing of webpages.

TIA,

SMBP
    Attached Images Attached Images

Platinum Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Need Advice on Advanced Tab Security Settings

Personally, I see little harm in the "Server Certificate Revocation" and the "Secure and Not Secure" mode checks. If someone's going to try and be devious enough to wreck my system - in one form or another - it's just as well as to make their task as hard as possible. After all, you're comparing nanoseconds saved up front (if that) against HOURS spent recovering a system or days/weeks picking up the pieces after identity theft. HTH
    Gre

Gold Lounger
    Thanks

Unk--

Which ones do you check then--good enough for you is good enough for me. I have the IE resource kit and can hit some sites but if we're only talking a few seconds and no major loss of web page content, then I'd like to know what you check.

SMBP

Uranium Lounger
    Thanks

In addition to checking "Use SSL 2.0, I also have SSL 3.0, TLS 1.0 checked. If you click the "?" on the top right & then click on each of them, it says that they are more secure than SSL 2.0. I assume, but don't really know, that if a site doesn't use SSL 3.0 or TLS 1.0, then checking it will not matter.
    Cheers,

Gold Lounger
    Thanks

Thanks Phil--

The terminology gets unfamiliar to me. But I'll try to dig in a little bit. The first day I started poking around a windows machine I started looking at those options tabs and got spooked by the security and privacy tabs and the active x radio buttons--and when I started having problems hitting Kelly's sites download link I started to look for settings I cold point to anywhere I could. Then I realized that if something (as improbable as this is) were causing my problem there, I couldn't give some one a definition of those categories. There is a detailed explanation of them box by box in both the IE 5.5 book and the IE Resource kit, but it's not in what I'd call every day language. I know they have to do with racheting security in various ways.

SMBP

Gold Lounger
    Thanks

I guess another way of saying it is--are there any bad moves you can make with those boxes? Can you limit your ability to see web pages there besides that they depend on java scripts and active x controls and probably a number of things I couldn't explain well.

SMBP

Platinum Lounger
    Thanks

All the ones you check, plus the two I've already mentioned plus SSL 3.0 - on the basis that relevant sites will have that as first priority and then degrade to 2.0 if necessary. There's nothing wrong with Phil's advice to check TLS 1.0 as well.
    Gre

Gold Lounger
    Thanks

Thanks--thats advice from two very good sources I trust.

SMBP