Platinum Lounger
    Thanks

CD Burner Problem

I have a (relatively) new CD burner (Liteon 48/24/48 LTR48246S) running on my (relatively) old box - PII 233/ Win 98SE/ 128MB RAM. The problem is that it only sounds like it spins up in short bursts when trying to read a CD. My older Delta burner (now dead for burning) seems still able to read quite smoothly and continuously by comparison. Although I don't use the Liteon for reading, a CD still has to be read during a burn operation and it's most annoying waiting minutes for any required reading to complete.

I've done the latest firmware upgrade and Control Panel shows the (standard MS) driver is working properly. I can't find any driver upgrades. The driver settings show "Disconnect" and "Auto Insert Notification" checked, and "Sync Data Transfer" and "DMA" unchecked.

Any suggestions on how to get it reading smoothly and continuously would be appreciated. Thanks.

Alan

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Re: CD Burner Problem

Try unchecking DISCONNECT.

Uranium Lounger
    Thanks

I would also, definitely without a doubt, check the box for DMA. It will likely make a huge difference in performance.
    -Mark

Platinum Lounger
    Thanks

Thanks both Mark & Preston. Unfortunately neither/ both of these setting changes seem to make any appreciable difference. Just in case it's relevant, the driver and settings I described seem to work fine on the old Delta CDR. This is why I wonder if my hardware might not be up to the task with the newer Liteon... although it does seem to fall within the manufacturer's requirements.

Any other ideas more than welcome.

Alan

Uranium Lounger
    Thanks

I was actually thinking that it may be the firmware in the drive itself. Have you contacted Lite-On to see if the issue is documented?
    -Mark

Platinum Lounger
    Thanks

Hmmm... IIRC it was "the issue" that prompted me to follow somebody's advice and run the firmware upgrade in the first place. When I look at Liteon's site now, I can see a recommendation to use the MS standard driver; and for firmware I (finally) located one to "Strengthen the stability of the "OVERBURN" function". Should I try to install this one?

Their site certainly recommends using DMA, as you suggest. I was also wondering if there's something I should be attending to in the BIOS that might help? I now at least have downloaded the manual, which might provide some clue.

Alan

Uranium Lounger
    Thanks

Firmware is usually a one-way street. Save that for your final option, unless you are experiencing the specific problem the update addresses. But download it anyway, just to have it available.

You mentioned the BIOS. I would definitely check and make sure that UDMA is enabled on all IDE channels. If DMA is disabled there, changing it in Windows will not make one whit of difference. First try auto-typing the drives, and if that does not provide improvement, then change the UDMA settings (to enable). One change at a time is always the best way to proceed with BIOS alterations.
    -Mark

Platinum Lounger
    Thanks

All UDMA settings were set to "Auto". The only other option available is "Disabled", so I guess Auto it is.

Edited - I just managed to load a DOS device driver for this, and the behaviours of the 2 CD drives are the same in DOS as in Windows. For instance, a DIR /S command responds in little bursts on the new burner, but "flies" through on the old, like reading from the HD.

Could it be (yet another) defective CD device? I don't know if it's just me, but my track record with CD-related peripherals suggests they're the most blatant example of "born to break" hardware ever to be forced onto consumers in the history of the PC industry. I've had 4 devices fail in nearly as many years. They appear to be less reliable than even floppy drives are/ were.

Alan

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks

I'm wondering if there really is no problem and that the new drive can read the CD and send information faster than the computer can receive it. If that is the case, then the drive might spin down during the gaps while it was waiting for the PC to catch up. Just a thought, I don't know how you would check this.

Ronny
    Ronny Richardson

Platinum Lounger
    Thanks

I had thought of that one too Ronny, and I do actually hope that's the case, since I intend transferring the CDRW to a new box (if it works that is). I guess the only way to find out will be to try it, but it's a bit of a Catch22 - I need the new box built first to see if I need a new one. Still, might be able to get it tested separately. Thanks for the suggestion.

Alan