5 Star Lounger
    Thanks

HP Pavilion 533W

A friend bought a HP Pavilion 533W (Walmart) 13 months ago. The hard drive failed. We then discovered that no Recovery Disk was provided. So he purchased WIN XP Home Edition and we installed that on a used hard drive I gave to him. The problem we are having is that we need drivers for the Multimedia Audio Controller, SM Bus Controller and Video Controller (VGA Compatible). HP.COM has no drivers available for download for this system. The video and audio are integrated into the motherboard. How can we figure out which drivers to download and where to get them?

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Re: HP Pavilion 533W

The following text is cut and pasted from an article that I found on the HP website.

<hr>HP Pavilion Desktop PCs - Not Finding Your Software and Drivers?

HP publishes updates to Pavilion Desktop software and drivers. If no updates are available, you already have the latest software and drivers from HP on your system.

HP Pavilion systems with Windows XP do not come with recovery CDs. Use the following steps to restore a software application or driver in Windows XP:

Click Start, All Programs, HP Tools, and then Application Recovery.

In the Recovery window, select either Drivers or Applications as desired and click Next.

Select the software driver or application that is to be reinstalled and click Next.

The driver or application will automatically be installed. Some programs will take longer to install than others.
    <hr>
    I guess you will have to log a support call with HP to get this sorted.

StuartR

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Yes, I have sent an email to Tech Support and will wait to see what happens from that. This really sucks - not having a recovery disk. They seem to think that having the Recovery Files on the hard drive will work - but not if the hard drive crashes. Quite a dilemma. Thanks for your help.

Super Moderator
    Thanks

Did he follow the instructions on set of the machine when it was new?

MOST OEM's do not provide the CDs and there are instructions on how to burn your OWN.

Now running HP Pavilion a6528p, with Win7 64 Bit OS.

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks

No he did not - if there were instructions to that end. He is a novice.

The good news is that the email tech support was GREAT. They responded within one hour (as promised) and gave me links to the drivers I needed. In addition, gave me an 800 number where I was able to order a Recovery CD for future use. Frankly, I was very impressed by the HP tech support response, timely and to the point. So thanks to everyone for their help.