Platinum Lounger
    Thanks

System tray icons missing (Pro)

Occasionally when I boot up some of the icons are missing from the system tray (or notification area as Microsoft has decided to rename it). It is not always the same icon(s) that fail to appear and it is not a case of inactive icons being hidden.
    Does anybody know of a permanent fix for this issue?

I have tried the following workarounds found on various web sites

1/ Disable the following services: "SSDP Discovery Service" and "Universal Plug and Play Device Host."
    This did not appear to make any difference.

2/ Disable automatic logon
    This cuts down the frequency of the problem though does not totally eliminate it. I prefer not to do this as logging on with a password every time is a minor nuisance when security is not an issue.

3/ When the problem occurs log off & log on again
    This usually resolved the problem and is currently my preferred method of dealing with the issue.

Gold Lounger
    Thanks

Re: System tray icons missing (Pro)

Tony--

Things to try--we have past XP threads with links. You can check search --there may be some nugget links--I know I've researched this several times. I would see these references:

For example:

XP Thread Tray Icons SP1 January 1, 2003

Kelly's A-Z>N>Notification Area
    Kelly's Tweaks: Regedit Downoad to Show Items in the Notification Area

My idea is that if the regedit makes them stick or her suggestions make them stick in A-Z you've won. Also check this registry key and make sure you have what the KB is telling you to delete if you wanted to clear the notification area--i.e. use it in reverse to check you have the right entries in the subkey:

283084: How to Clear Past Items from the Notification Area

Also check the above thread and note the KB named that talks about loosing the notification area/sys tray icons with high color:

321213: Icons in the Notification Area May Disappear If You Use High-Contrast Color Themes in Windows XP

hth,

SMBP

Platinum Lounger
    Thanks

Re: System tray icons missing (Pro)

Thanks