Thread: Odd Boot Issue

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Odd Boot Issue

Hi, my wife's PC (AMD 1600, Abit board, 512Mb DDR266 memeory) broke down. It refused to go to GUI mode at all, even in safe. After some time I concluded that the board or CPU was shot ... certainly the system was always flaky and in my investigations I did something that stopped any sort of boot ability! I have now bought a new motherbaord and CPU (Celeron 2GHz & gigabyte) and it builds fine BUT will not go into GUI mode (though it will in safe). Can anyone suggest any other possible problrem coz right now it's looking like the memory! I have tested multiple video cards BTW and they all do the same thing!

Silver Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Odd Boot Issue

Don't know what operating system you're running, but I had an older PC running Win98 that stopped booting into the GUI for no apparent reason.

Simply adding 'WIN' to the end of the autoexec.bat file resolved my problem.
    Christopher Baldrey

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Odd Boot Issue

While waiting to see your answer to Chris' question - what OS - I wonder: when you installed the new motherboard and first-time booted with the Windows boot drive, did you let it resolve any and all changes required because of the new board, including any required DRIVERS? If it does enter Safe mode, maybe the first thing you should try is updating the video driver.

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Windows XP!

That said I think I have solved the issue ... I now believe it was a video card issue (essentially I don't think my previous cards have been entirely adequate to the task at hand). I found this out when I put my own video card in the machine and it worked perfectly (interestingly I couldn't even fit the intended video card ... the AGP slot on the new board has a divider incompatible with the old ATI AGP Pro 128 I was planing to use).

Thanks for your help anyway chaps :-)