2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Controlling appearance of footnote text (Word 2000)

The text of my footnotes appear with a superscripted number followed by a space and then the text. I would like to eliminate the space between the number and the text, but I can't figure out what controls that. If it's controlled by either the Footnote Reference or Footnote Text style, I can't figure out exactly where. (I can manually delete the space in the footnote after the footnote is created, but my goal is to set it up so that the footnote is created without the space.)

Thanks for your help!

- Linda

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Controlling appearance of footnote text (Word 2000)

You can create a macro named InsertFootnoteNow; this will override the built-in command that inserts a footnote without displaying the dialog (Ctrl+Alt+F), but not the Insert | Footnote... menu option. If you put the macro in Normal.dot or in a global template, it will be available in all documents.

Public Sub InsertFootnoteNow()
    ActiveDocument.Footnotes.Add Range:=Selection.Range
    Selection.TypeBackspace
    End Sub

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Thank you for your suggestion, Hans. A macro solution is not ideal for me because I share documents with other people, and I don't really want to get into asking them to add macros to their templates. I presume from your response that there's no built-in way through styles or something similar to modify this particular part of the footnote text. Is that correct?

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

As far as I know, there is no style setting or something like that to do what you want, but I will gladly admit I'm wrong if somebody else comes up with a good idea!

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Thanks, Hans. At least I know I'm not missing the obvious. I appreciate your help.

- Linda