New Lounger
    Thanks

Outlook 97 and Server Authentication (Office 97 SR-1)

I recently started using Outlook 97, but am unable to send email because I don't get a "Server Requires Authentication" box to check on the Servers tab. This seems to be a well-documented problem, but was supposedly fixed in SR-1. I've also tried installing the patch "Outlimep.exe" which is supposed to fix it and is also supposed to be included in SR-1. I've also updated to SR-2b, but all to no avail. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks.

Thanks

Re: Outlook 97 and Server Authentication (Office 97 SR-1)

Is there any chance at all you could get a later version of Outlook? Outlook 97 was version 1.0 and Outlook 98 (version "1.5"), released as a free update, contained many of the fixes that you normally would expect to an Office application. Microsoft no longer offers Outlook 98, but it was included on CD-ROM in at least one book, so you might be able to dredge up a copy. Or go with something newer... or even Outlook Express.

New Lounger
    Thanks

Thanks, I could buy a later edition of Outlook, but since Office 97 serves me fine in every way, I'd like to avoid spending the money. The problem with using Outlook Express now (which I've used for years) is that it won't sync to my PIM which has become important to me. I will look for Outlook 98, though. In addition, it frustrates me that this is supposed to work, but it won't for me.

Thanks

I dug out my old Windows 95/Office 97 laptop, and it was very cranky (also the battery was totally dead). I was able to glimpse the dialog briefly and there was a radio button at the bottom of the username and password information that sounds similar to what you were looking for. Is that it?

New Lounger
    Thanks

Thanks for taking the effort on my behalf. I do get the check box that says, "Log on Using Secure Password Authentication," which isn't what I need. I don't get the separate section underneath that for "Outgoing Mail Server" nor the check box under that says "My Server Requires Authentication" and the "Settings" radio button that goes along with it. So I can receive mail but not send it. I believe the problem and fix are described here: http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?...&NoWebContent=1. It just doesn't seem to work for me.

Thanks

Well, the information must be squirreled away somewhere other than that tab of the dialog, because from what I can see, the dialog does not change. Hmmm... Not much on Sue Mosher's Internet Mail Enhancement Patch page at Slipstick Systems, which often is the best source for Outlook questions.

When you download the fix, does it give you any additional information?
    (Here's a clickable link: XCLN: Routing Restrictions Require SMTP Authentication (MSKB 197869))

Here are other MSKB articles that indicate various files and their dates that should be updated... does it all match up?

OL97: Files Installed by the Internet Mail Enhancement Patch (MSKB 171630)
    OL97: Outlook Services File Information (MSKB 166300)

Not sure what impact this might hold for you, but Outlook 97 was not Y2K compliant prior to SR-2 (see Slipstick page).

New Lounger
    Thanks

I really appreciate all the research you've done on this. Sue Mosher's explanation I think clarifies that I may have misunderstood what the patch is supposed to do. I now believe it only adds the option to log on using Secure Password Authentication (which I already had with SR-1 but is not relevant to my problem), but I don't think it adds the separate section on the Outgoing Mail Server that the outgoing server requires authentication. Maybe the only fix for this is to move to a later version of Outlook, so I'm looking for 98. BTW I did update to SR-2 and that made no difference either.

New Lounger
    Thanks

Now that I've understood the nature of the problem better, I did a more specific Google search and found that Outlook 97 does not support "outgoing server requires authentication." Outllook 98 appears to. Thanks for your help.