New Lounger
    Thanks

Incorrect Drive Type

I recently installed a 100Mb Zip drive and CD-ROM drive in a new PC installation running Win98 SE. These drives share a lead to the secondary IDE socket on the Super P6SBA ATX motherboard and the AMI BIOS setting for both of them is 'Not Installed'. They both work satisfactorily, but the Zip drive exhibits the following 'feature':

When I open Windows Explorer the text showing at the Zip drive icon is '3

Bronze Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Incorrect Drive Type

Hi
    In the first place, set your BIOS secondary IDE channel to 'Auto' for both Master and Slave. Come back if this does not allow you to solve your problem. I was not sure from your post whether ot not you had done this.
    Rgds

New Lounger
    Thanks

Hi Merc, thanks for your suggestion, but, yes, I have tried setting the secondary Master (Zip drive) and Slave (CD-ROM drive) IDE settings to Auto, and a few other BIOS changes as well without success. The two drive's J-links are set correctly i.e. Zip drive as 'Master + Slave' and CD-ROM drive as 'Slave'. They both works fine - it's just that Explorer message telling me that the Zip drive is a Floppy is so annoying!

Bronze Lounger
    Thanks

Hi
    Try this - which normalized my 'My Computer' icons and names that had gone wrong recently. It might just work for your Zip Drive. (Ok it's a long shot, but...)