Thanks

Can't recover any mail messages (OE 6)

In the course of saving any valuable data I had before replacing a HDD, I copied the entire file structure in Documents & Settings for all 4 OE users here at home. Unfortunately, now I can't get any of the messages back. I have OE reinstalled, and copied the mail and newsgroup files back to the right folder in the new install...but whenever OE opens I get the single welcome message and that's all. I can't import the messages because OE just will NOT see the Local Settings directory for my ID. I've been to tomsterdam.com, but the impression I get is that if I didn't already back up using his strategy, I won't be able to recover using his strategy. So, of course, I don't know what to try next.

Thanks, as always -
    Have a cookie -

Don

Super Moderator
    Thanks

Re: Can't recover any mail messages (OE 6)

After making the NEW accounts on the NEW HGD, did you log in as the new user for EACH account, "BEFORE" copying these folders to the new HDD?

If NOT that is your problem.

Now running HP Pavilion a6528p, with Win7 64 Bit OS.

Thanks

It doesn't even work for MY ID, let alone the others. I did the copying 2 days ago and have logged in several times since then, but nothing has changed. By new accounts, I take it you mean the main XP user accounts and not email accounts. And if that is the cause, then I'm not sure what the solution would be...or am I SOL?
    Have a cookie -

Don

Thanks

GOT IT!!!

I created a new directory for all my *.dbx files, changed my OE store directory to that one, and then imported. All my mail is back! I had trouble doing this several times - apparently whenever I copied the inbox/outbox files to the new directory I somehow got mixed up and copied the empty ones. Once I figured that out, the rest was easy.

Thanks, all -
    Have a cookie -

Don

Super Moderator
    Thanks

Yes, I mean the Windows XP accouints.

Since you have the files saved elswhere, I would delete these accounts and their folders and files. But be for you delete ALL of them, make yourself a "Backdoor" account with "Admin" permissions and make sure you log into it which will finish making ALL folders and files. Reboot the machine and log back in using the backdoor. Now, delete each account and check off the box about deleting folders and files. After all accounts have been deleted, do another reboot. Now make your accounts using the same name as before if you want, log in to EACH, which will finish the links. Set up your eamil accounts and then copy ONLY the files and any folders that are NOT system made. Make sure that these are not "Read Only" if copied from a CD.

Now running HP Pavilion a6528p, with Win7 64 Bit OS.