5 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Shut down problems (Outlook 2K3)

I am using O2K3 on a WindowsXP Pro client machine. I have Small Business Server with Exchange, but I don't use it for email (don't ask). I use OE 6 for email. When I open Outlook the first time in the morning everything goes well on the surface. When I try to restart Outlook it will not start. When I look in the Processes section of the Windows Task Manager Outlook is always listed there. Once I end that instance of Outlook I can start Outlook. I looked in the Knowledge Base and didn't find an answer.

When I open Outlook there is an icon in the notification area. When I double click on the icon I get the following message.

"Outlook is not responding If you are using an Exchange Server email account, you can cancel pending server requests by clicking the Outlook icon
    in the notification area, and then clicking Cancel Service Request on the shortcut menu."

Once Outlook is closed I right click as well as double click and never get the chance to Cancel the services. Ah, I just right clicked with Outlook
    open and there it is. I also notice that Hide When Minimize is unchecked. I checked it, I minimized O was a taskbar button. Once I minimize it Outlook
    is hidden but I can't maximize Outlook after minimized.

No macros are being ran.
    The addins are as follows
    McAfee VirusScan Outlook Email Scanner
    Delegate Access
    Deleted Item Recovery
    Exch Extensions commands
    Exch Ext property pages
    Fax Server Ext
    TeamStatus Form

Why isn't Outlook completely shutting down?

Thank you. Fay

Platinum Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Shut down problems (Outlook 2K3)

It's a known issue with Outlook that it does linger in processes long after you've closed it down. When machines used to run on much less RAM, this was a continuing irritation. One thing, however, that does delay shutting down still further is the use of a PDA - even if it isn't actively synching. Do you have a PDA?
    Gre

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks

I had a PDA on it before but it has been removed. I have 512 MB RAM in the computer. Fay

Platinum Lounger
    Thanks

May I suggest that you disconnect from the Internet and unload all the Add-Ins. Set yourself a baseline as to how long it takes Outlook to unload - monitoring the Process in Task Manager. Once you reload McAfee, of course, then you no longer need to be disconnected from the Internet.

(Pardon the comment about the RAM. My meaning was merely that the problem with Outlook staying in memory is less noticeable these days simply because most users have much more RAM.)

HTH
    Gre