Gold Lounger
    Thanks

Browse to Images (Win XP Pro)

I don't think this is specific to the Lounge but I see it most here when I upload images. I take it as more of an XP configuration problem and it's only a minor annoyance.

When I hit Browse to put an image up, often it goes directly to the my pictures folder, and I imagine I could make a setting to go to a Photoshop Elements/Album display or a MS Picture display or any image organizer but when it works correctly "Browse" takes me to My Pictures in My Documents with images displayed as tiles which is configured to display different from My Pictures on my start menu where images are displayed as thumbnails alphabetically. Usually by default, it takes me where I want to be so I can click or need be edit the size or paste something else in the image. Other times though, I get a menu similar to the Change Icon dialogue box browse and I have to take it from a "downloads folder" clicking the Look In Pulldown>My Documents>My Pictures to get there. Only 2 extra clicks but I'd like to fix the inconsistency.

I don't know of anything that sets it up before hand to behave this way, but I'm trying to find out if there is.

How can I make Browse go straight to My Pictures from any site Lounge or elsewhere where Browse is meant to go directly to My Pictures folder where images are displayed so you can upload them?

Tia,

SMBP

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Browse to Images (Win XP Pro)

I don't view it as an inconsistency. Windows is such that it will, in MOST cases, return to the LAST folder you used when you include a pix as part of a post. If YOU are consistent in where you keep such things, there shouldn't be a problem with a couple of extra clicks. In my case, I store all screenshots in a TEMP folder on my C: drive, so whenever I click browse while creating a post, the window always goes to that TEMP folder. I said "in most cases," because obviously there are exceptions, but for the most part uploading a screenshot never causes me any extra clicks.

Thanks

Technically, the <INPUT TYPE=FILE> control used by the Lounge is not picture-specific, it is designed for any type of attachment. I would expect IE to default to the My Documents folder, but I don't feel like closing it down to check. (Pardon my laziness.) To speed access to a particular folder, why not add it to the Places bar in the dialog? I don't know if this particular one is customizable, but it's worth a shot.

Gold Lounger
    Thanks

It isn't returning to the last folder I use when I hit browse all the time--this isn't most cases hence the post. I am consistent--I'm not even deploying any of the many photo editors and albums I have that could alter the consistency--I am letting all the images I save go straight to My Pictures--with no other folder being used and sometimes the last folder I was in was My Pictures. To me that's consistent--one picture folder and only one picture folder.

Thanks for the temp files tip Al--maybe I should try doing that. I know you are fond of Paint Shop Pro 8 to edit your pictures and may use others, and imagine you have access to a number of album type organizers including PSP, but if this works for you and I can't fix what is a minor annoyance, I can go to this.

SMBP

Gold Lounger
    Thanks

Where do you mean when you say "add it to the places bar in the dialogue box." or wonder about customizing the places bar in the dialouge box Jefferson?

SMBP

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

See attached

Gold Lounger
    Thanks

Thanks Hans! I don't know if I can change things there or how, but it will be fun to see what I can do there. I started googling and I could only come up with references to the Places bar in Word and Office. One of many things that just slipped through my fingers in reading. I'm going to try to be more vigilant about what I'm doing before and after I see this happen, but one would think that people who are managing a lot of images--I'm not--and with the huge growth spurt of people who get into Windows more because of their photography that many people might trip this behavior as Al suggested because they have preferences for storing certain photos in different locations--work, kids, family ect.

SMBP

Platinum Lounger
    Thanks

> Thanks Hans! I don't know if I can change things there or how, but it will be fun to see what I can do there.

Tweak UI or GPEDIT.MSC (Group Policy) - Administrative TemplatesWindows ComponentsWindows ExplorerCommon Options.
    Gre