3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Addin locaton coming from cache location??? (Excel 2000)

An xla based addin use to be placed in cocuemnt SettingsuserapplicationMicrosoftAddin where it got loaded everytime the application was started. Due to requirements we needed to have the XAL addin not loaded everytime Excel started but via VBA code Addins.Installed = Ture, etc.

Well what is happening Excel is still looking at the cocuemnt SettingsuserapplicationMicrosoftAddin and even if it is not there it marks it in the Addins' dialog as being installed. When I uncheck it get the message that the addin cannot be found at that located and do I wish to delete it which I click the Yes button. I did browse for the Addin at it's new location and load it. After I close Excel I find that I have to do this everytime. In the registery it shows the location of the Addin to be where I expect it to be. Someone thinks Excel is using a cache area for the old location of the addin.

Does anyone know how to clear that cache or modify it?

Thanks

Platinum Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Addin location

Excel is hard-coded to look in your AddIns directory. My experience with Excel 2000 and Add-Ins in a non-default location is that Excel offers to copy the Add-In to the Add-Ins folder each time you load it - which is presumably yours as well. Some time ago I worked with loading an Add-In from a Registry Value in code using a reference to the Scripting Runtime. Are you saying that this is not working for you?
    Gre

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Yes this is not working for me. Plus after I do load the addin via the Addins dialog it is not copied to any other folder.

Platinum Lounger
    Thanks

I do recall difficulties with the solution you are trying, and I am unable to locate the code that was used. A somewhat messy workaround would be to load Excel through a shortcut to the Add-In. This has the result of loading an instance without any blank Workbook. FYI the only way to unload the Add-In after such a method (without closing Excel) is through code. Perhaps that would not be much of a solution.
    Gre

Platinum Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Addin locaton coming from cache location??? (Excel 2000)

In principle when an addin is only loaded when needed, there is only one reason why one would use the addins.installed=true method to load an addin: It ensures the Install event code of an addin to be run. Otherwise, why not simply use Workbooks.Open "NameandPathOfAddIn"?
    Jan Karel Pieterse
    Microsoft Excel MVP, WMVP
    www.jkp-ads.com
    Professional Office Developers Association

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

I haven't tried your suggestion yet but wouldn't that just open a seperate instance of Excel of the Addin rather than loading the addin so that it's modules can be used by opened Excel instances?

Platinum Lounger
    Thanks

When this command is used in a workbook, it simply opens the add-in in that session of Excel. If you are automating excel from another program, it will be opened in the session you have started by creating the Excel Application object.
    Jan Karel Pieterse
    Microsoft Excel MVP, WMVP
    www.jkp-ads.com
    Professional Office Developers Association