Lounger
    Thanks

suppress File | Properties (97sr2, and 2000)

I have a multi-sheet workbook, as an .xlt, where all sheets are protected, including one which is hidden. I'm quite keen that casual users don't know it even exists.
    The giveaway to its existence is that it's listed in the 'contents' tab of File | Properties. Is there a way for ordinary people (ie me) to modify the File | Properties box? I don't mind if it merely removes the reference to the hidden sheet, or the whole of the 'contents' sheet, or, indeed the whole shebang! A file with no properties - that's a thought!
    The other giveway is that anyone can click in a cell, even if it's protected, and see a reference to the hidden sheet in a formula. Is there any way of hiding this, too? (like password-hide the formula bar? Write the contents of the formula bar in white 'ink'??)
    Not paranoid, just careful...
    I don't particularly need to reverse the hiding of the contents tab, if it can be hidden on a per-workbook basis.

Platinum Lounger
    Thanks

Re: suppress File | Properties (97sr2, and 2000)

You may have to live with this. The best I can suggest is that you change the name of the Worksheet to _ and put it at the very back of the Workbook. If someone does look at the poropoerties tab, it won't stand out so clearly. On the Sheet Name, you could use named ranges instead of Cell references. As long as the names aren't dupliacted on other Sheets, it won't be immediately obvious that the references are to a hidden Sheet. HTH
    Gre

Gold Lounger
    Thanks

You will needto resort to VBA to make the sheet totally invisible.

Use Sheets("SheetName").Visible = xlVeryHidden

where SheetName is the name of the sheet you wish to hide.

You can hide formulas by setting by going to Format, Cell, Protection and checking the Hidden checkbox. You will then need to protect the worksheet and any formulas in hidden cells will be invisible.

Andrew C

Lounger
    Thanks

Thanks, chaps, most helpful, as also is Steve's response which doesn't seem to have made it to the lounge but did make it to me desk.
    I thought of the named range trick but figured that anyone who knew enough to look for named ranges would find it hard to see a list and where they were.
    The hidden sheet contains names and addresses - fair enough, as in English law concerning credit unions that much is required to be publicly available, but stuff like dates of birth and phone numbers definitely isn't.

Lounger
    Thanks

oops! for "would" read "wouldn't". No doubt the =SUBSTITUTE formula will do this nicely?