Lounger
    Thanks

Inserting a symbol (Word 2000)

I am running Word 2000 on Windows XP. All functions of Office work fine except when I attempt to insert a symbol into a Word document. As soon as I click on Insert-Symbol the computer locks up solid. I can insert a symbol in Excel just fine. I have uninstalled and reinstalled, done a detect and repair, deleted normal.dot, and nothing seems to help. Does anyone have any ideas or has anyone ran into this before?
    Thanks in advance.
    Glenn

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Inserting a symbol (Word 2000)

Check out Phil Rabichow's <!post=Systematic Approach to Behavioral Problems in Word (97/2000),197827>Systematic Approach to Behavioral Problems in Word (97/2000)<!/post>.

Thanks

It's also possible that something in your Fonts folder is corrupted. I don't know if there is a quick way to "repair" that, or whether you'll need to address it by trial and error (e.g., drag a bunch of font files out and try adding them back gradually until you find the problem).

Platinum Lounger
    Thanks

Maybe the Character Map charmap.exe utility, optionally installed under Programs -> Accessories, might be "telling" of any font corruptions? In any case, it's an alternative for inserting symbols until the source of the Word problem is found & fixed.

Alan