5 Star Lounger
    Thanks

SQL database connected to a VB db (VS/VB.NET 2003)

I am having trouble getting a solution to run. A solution that is based on an SQL database that came from someone else. I get the following message. "A serious database error has occurred. Error number: 4060. Cannot open database requested in login "XXXX'. Login Fails. Login fails for User VVVVVVVVYYYYYY.

There is a bat file to connect to the DB and I have run the bat file. I have tried to attach it using the cmd line. I get the following results from that. "1>2>3>4>5> Msg 5172, Level 16, State 15, Server HP-XP, Line 1 The header for file "C:XXXXPayables_Log.ldf" is not a valid database file header. The PageAudit property is incorrect. 1>2>3>4>5> Msg 5172, Level 16, State 15, Server HP-XP, Line 1 The header for file "C:XXXXDatabase.mdf" is not a valid database file header. The PageAudit property is incorrect.

I have VERY limited experience with SQL and ADO. I would appreciate any and all help. I really want to learn ADO and VB.

Fay

Thanks

Re: SQL database connected to a VB db (VS/VB.NET 2003)

The Microsoft KB refers to that error message only in a rather obscure context: PRB: SQL Server Backup Performed on Computer Configured with DPT RAID Controller Card May Be Invalid (MSKB 268481). But it does sound like a SQL Server problem, not a problem with your program.

Super Moderator
    Thanks

Actually, Fay, it looks to me like you are probably not connecting to the database - I suspect the .bat file you are using may be culprit. If that isn't the case, then the SQL Server messages you are getting suggest that both the log file and the data file for the database you are trying to connect to are corrupt. Is this a true SQL Server installation with all the bells and whistles? If it is, do you have an administrator that you can talk to? If you don't, I would suspect you have issues with the SQL Server installation. Can you bring up something called the SQL Server Enterprise Manager.
    Wendell

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Hi Wendall I am on a MSDE server. I know it works because I attached to a book database. I can access Client Network Utility, Server Network Utility, and Import and Export Data. I have a SQL Server as part of a Small Bus Server 2003, but know basically only enough to spell SQL. I moved the files to a second drive on the server and tried to install it. Don't think it worked.

Super Moderator
    Thanks

<hr>I moved the files to a second drive on the server and tried to install it. Don't think it worked.<hr>
    I'm afraid you are right - you can't move SQL Server files around and expect it to keep working. The MSDE is a brain-damaged version of SQL Server, and has very little in the way of admin tools, at least in OFfice 2002. You would probably be better off using the SBS 2003 - there is a significant learning curve in using SQL Server, but at least that version gets you the Enterprise Manager so you can do things you need to from an Admin point of view. In order to move SQL Server databases, you need to use the backup and restore capabilities of SQL Server, and you need to have the Books Online at your disposal so you can figure out how things work. In the mean time, if you want to do stuff with .NET you can use Access databases and do some fairly clever web stuff with it. Our website is an example of that kind of thing.
    Wendell

Thanks

I would amend the above slightly by saying that MSDE contains the core functionality of SQL Server minus all the useful, GUI-based administrative tools and plus a performance governor that reduces response time when there are five or more concurrent queries. It's perfectly fine for embedded applications (for one or a few users) where the developer plans to provide the administration tools, but hard to maintain otherwise.

Super Moderator
    Thanks

You've said it better than I. One thing I don't know is what version is shipping with Office 2003 - I presume it is MDSE2000 which is SQL Server 2000 without the bells and whistles. There are a few more tools than the original came with in Office 2000.
    Wendell