Platinum Lounger
    Thanks

Unexpected behaviour (2002SP2)

Over the last few days I have been experiencing some slightly unexpected behaviour with Outlook 2002, as follows:

a) although messages are delivered from Exchange successfully, when in the InBox view I click on the "Send/Receive" button or click on F5 or F9 (all the same thing!) I get an immediate message box which says "The operation failed". Nothing else appears wrong.

[img]/forums/images/smilies/cool.gif[/img] SpamBayes is sometimes failing to process new messages (no percentage score in the Spam column), usually when I first start up Outlook in the morning. Later on it seems to process new messages, then later on not do so. I've disabled/re-enabled it a couple of times. (When disabled, and I press F5 or F9 I still get the same Outlook message box). This is the first time SpamBayes has "gone funny" in at least six months of use, and I have the latest version 0.81 from September last year.

These two matters may be related?

Can anyone breathtakingly knowledgeable (hi Hans!) suggest what I might do about point a)? I doubt there's the user-base for point [img]/forums/images/smilies/cool.gif[/img].
    My intention, if nobody knows a less drastic answer, is to remove SpamBayes entirely and see what happens then...
    <font face="Script MT Bold"><font color=blue><big><big>John</big></big></font color=blue></font face=script>

Ita, esto, quidcumque...

Platinum Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Unexpected behaviour (2002SP2)

Hans

Thanks for the pointer. I unchecked the tick box relating to Certificate Revocation, terminated all instances of IE and shut down and restarted Outlook.

Sadly the F5, F9, "Click on Send/receive" message box still appears.
    <font face="Script MT Bold"><font color=blue><big><big>John</big></big></font color=blue></font face=script>

Ita, esto, quidcumque...

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

I may have hex appeal, but I know very little about Outlook/Exchange. Could your problem be related to the expired certificate problem mentioned in <post#=329015>post 329015</post#>?

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

John, I am out of my depth here. I hope somebody who actually knows something about Outlook will react.

In the meantime, you might try the following:
    - Close Outlook.
    - Make sure that you can see hidden and system files/folders.
    - Locate Outcmd.dat; in Windows XP, it is in Cocuments and Settings<username>Application DataMicrosoftOutlook.
    - Rename it to Outcmd.old
    - Restart Outlook.
    - If it doesn't help, quit Outlook and undo the renaming.

You might also have a look at OL: An "Operation Failed" Error Message Appears After You Click "Send and Receive".

Platinum Lounger
    Thanks

Hans

Sorry, I feel guilty that I didn't post earlier to say that I'd taken the plunge and uninstalled SpamBayes, then re-installed it. Now I don't get the "The operation failed." message but the proper "Outlook Send/Recovery Progress" screen (briefly).

The reason I was waiting before declaring the problem solved was that I've only had three messages since, each of which scored 0%, so I wanted a few more, so that some might go into the Possible Spam or Spam folders.

I looked through my TechNet-DVD-on-disk but couldn't find any instance where the problem statement included the message "The operation failed" with nothing else following it.

I will note your OUTCMD.DAT delete suggestion for future use, if there are still problems!

Thanks very much for your help [my hero!]

Ita, esto, quidcumque...

Platinum Lounger
    Thanks

Hans

Just to say that both Outlook and SpamBayes are now restored to health, and can process subjects like:

adverse roundabout elastic gusset inaugural
    Wa.nt t.o Bloc.k Sp,,am from yo.ur inb-ox Jgray?
    S.ave up to 90% off the re.tail pr.ice on sof.tware! uLWdztut3xoG

... and so on...

Ita, esto, quidcumque...

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

<hr>adverse roundabout elastic gusset inaugural<hr>
    Spam is starting to sound more and more like modern poetry!