5 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Loosing time-stamp after (de-)encrypt in NTFS

Some times I'd like to encrypt (or return to not encrypted) for one or more files I have on an NTFS-disk. Although this is easy to do (Properties, Advanced), the problem is that this procedure also (logically) changes the "Date-Modified" flag. Does anyone know about tools that prevent this? I know there are many tools that manipulate timestamps, what I'd like is one that reads the modified date, changes the encryption state and then re-writes the modified date...

Erik Jan

Silver Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Loosing time-stamp after (de-)encrypt in NTFS

Try FileDate Changer v1.1. It's free.

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks

But that's just another file-date/stamp changer isn't it??? I'm looking for a tool that (re-)sets encryption without changing the stamp (so: save stamp, change encryption, set stamp)

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

You could always use a different encryption tool.

I use PGP Disk, which mounts a container file as a virtual disk so you can put all the encrypted files into the single encrypted container file. The modification date changes on the container file when you mount and dismount it, but the files in the virtual disk retain their correct dates. The whole thing is transparent to every application I've ever tested it with.

StuartR

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

I've spent a little time Googling around since I read your post this morning and I can't find anything. I have NOT looked over all the MS sites and pages. Perhaps you going to need to take a look at Stuart's suggestion. Anyone else got anything?

(Just my opinion, but I can understand the MS logic in this. When you encrypt or decrypt a file, you are in essence "changing" the file as you would with any edit process, even though I also understand your concern that the file has actually not changed in content. Tough situation.)

Platinum Lounger
    Thanks

Big Al is correct; the file system is "performing as designed". Any time the file is written, by whatever means, that action causes a change to the "file modified" timestamp.

The best account I've come across of why the Windows file timestamps are largely meaningless, with only the "file modified" one being fairly reliable, is the XXCOPY Technical Bulletin #15 Windows File Date and Time. Simultaneously both enlightening and depressing!
    <font face="Script MT Bold"><font color=blue><big><big>John</big></big></font color=blue></font face=script>

Ita, esto, quidcumque...

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks

I understand the discussion and -obviously- it makes sense: if I change something the modified-date stamp changes too... I realize (and realized) this... however that STILL doesn't change my wish for a little tool that will act as described earlier... From my own searches and the responses however it seems not to exist out there.

Thanks all for a good discussion!

Erik Jan

Platinum Lounger
    Thanks

If you can find whether one of the functions of RUNDLL32 (or ANY command line tool) can be used to do encryption or decryption, it would be fairly straightforward for someone to save the Last-Modified date(s) before running this, and restore it/them afterwards.

Even better would be a C++ or VBA program which used the Windows APIs to do these three functions -- but these are way beyond my area of ignorance. Pity nobody appears to have written this.

For WIndows NT I wanted a command-line utility which would compress or decompress a folder structure, but I couldn't find that either!
    <font face="Script MT Bold"><font color=blue><big><big>John</big></big></font color=blue></font face=script>

Ita, esto, quidcumque...