2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Modem speed (US Robotics Sportster)

I have noticed that I typically connect at onlyaround 33,000 bps, and wonder if there is a relatively easy way to increase the speed.

I have a US Robotics Sportster Flash external modem (021663-00), which supposedly is 56K. I downloaded firmware (several years ago) to upgrade it to the V.90 56K ITU standard, but had some difficulty installing it.

I still have the .exe file for the upgrade, but it was for Win 95. Subsequently I upgraded my OS to Win 98, and the .exe file for the V.90 upgrade for Win 95 doesn't work. I looked on the 3Com website for a V.90 upgrade for Win 98, but they don't seem to have it.

Is it possible that, in upgrading from Win 95 to Win 98, I failed to set something up in Windows to allow a faster connection? If not, is there a site where I can find and download the V.90 upgrade for Win 98?

Platinum Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Modem speed (US Robotics Sportster)

The upper limit of your connection speed is determined by your ISP. From the sound of it, as well as your profile, it would appear that you are on a dial-up connection in the UK (or Ireland). Typical dial-up connection speeds on a V90 in the British Isles tend to be 33-34K. (The equivalent in the US tends to be 40K.)

The firmware upgrade applies to the modem itself and not to the Operating System that your computer is running on. Thus, having applied it once, you should not have to apply it again.

The 56K offered by V90 is a theoretical maximum. The figure was arrived at about 8 years ago as part of an international standardisation effort. Previously, the ceiling had been in the region of 30K - but subject to incompatible standards.

HTH
    Gre

Thanks

You'll find some further food for thought at ModemSite.com, including a section on "How 56k modems work, and why all users may not be able to achieve 56k connections".

Platinum Lounger
    Thanks

Not mentioned so far is the Line Quality. In the UK, if the line you're using for dial-up is NOT used for voice, you can ask BT to "turn up the amplifier gain" for that line, which can improve your throughput.

Of course the REAL answer is to go to some form of broadband -- but this might not be a possibility for you...
    <font face="Script MT Bold"><font color=blue><big><big>John</big></big></font color=blue></font face=script>

Ita, esto, quidcumque...