Thanks

Windows Installer

Uisng Win 98 (not SE) I'm trying to install Nero Burning Rom after reinstalling WIndows, which I had installed and working previously. I get a message part way through the installation process saying 'The wizard was interrupted before Nero Burning Rom could be completely installed'. A search using Google suggests that this could be due to a corrupt Windows installer, and downloading it afresh could cure the problem. I have been to the Microsoft site and downloaded InstMsiA.exe but when I try to run it I just get a message saying 'Error: the specified service already exists'.

Two questions (1) is this likely to be the way to try to solve my Nero installation problem, and (2) how do I reinstall the installer?

Ian

2. Subscribe to our Windows Secrets Newsletter - It's Free!

Get our unique weekly Newsletter with tips and techniques, how to's and critical updates on Windows 7, Windows 8, Windows XP, Firefox, Internet Explorer, Google, etc. Join our 480,000 subscribers!

Excel 2013: The Missing Manual

+ Get this BONUS — free!

Get the most of Excel! Learn about new features, basics of creating a new spreadsheet and using the infamous Ribbon in the first chapter of Excel 2013: The Missing Manual - Subscribe and download Chapter 1 for free!

3. Gold Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Windows Installer

Ian--

It is considerably more likely to be a Neros glitch with the installer than the Windows installer. You can go after the installer files to replace them by running System File Checker. See:

185836: Description of the System File Checker Tool (Sfc.exe) for Windows 98

I'd look to Nero Support sites for your answer like this one on Install issues with Nero 6:

Problems Installing Nero
    Nero Help System OnLine and Downloadable

Ed. by SMBP: After you have run sfc and gotten any help from the Nero Installation troubleshooting links, I would make sure that I uninstalled any old files from Nero that might have gotten in, includinng manually checking the OS drive and any other drive where you might have pointed the Nero installation.

SMBP

Thanks

Thanks for the ideas. I ran system file checker and it identified no problems. The Nero sites you suggest don't mention my problem either. One of the sites I found when I first searched Google about this issue suggested that the installer is not native to Win 98, and one where a similar Nero problem was discussed suggested that a probelm can arise when there is a conflict between versions of the installer already on the PC from installing pervious software and on the installation disc. That was why I thought it might be worth reinstalling the installer, but I couldn't work out how to do so.

Ian

5. Gold Lounger
    Thanks

Ian--

Then why not try to replace it here, but use the Windows Installer Clean-up Utility from the Task Pane on the right first. Then download 2.0 appropriate for 98:

Windows Installer 2.0 Redistributable for Windows 95, 98, and Me

238413: OFF2000 Windows 95, Windows 98, or Windows Me : Windows Installer CleanUp Utility (Scroll Down)

If you scroll down this KB also applies to Windows 98.

SMBP

Thanks

OK - thanks for the advice. I went to the sites you specified (which was actually where I had got the InstMsiA.exe file in the first place). The stuff about the Clean Up utility seemed to say that you couldn't use it unless your version of installer was less than 2.0, but mine was 2.0. So what I have done is (1) I renamed the msiexec.exe file. Then I found that I could run InstMsiA.exe and reinstall the installer. (2) I manually removed all the Nero files that the failed istallation had left in the WindowsTEMP folder, and manually deleted the registry key to remove Nero from the Add/Remove programs list where it wouldn't go from. Then after restarting I tried installing Nero again, and the setup seems to have gone all the way through. Quite which of these steps has done the trick I'm not sure, but here's hoping it's sorted out, and I'll see if I can get Nero to work.

Thanks for your help.

Ian