Thread: automatic logon

New Lounger
    Thanks

automatic logon

I have recently seen my Win 95 machine loging on at boot with no obvious program initiating the connection. I've taken everything out of my startup folder and have used the latest Ad Aware (4.6) to rid my system of any spyware - also I've used reg clean to get rid of several entries in there.
    Is there anywhere else to look? I can rebuild my system but obviously would like to avoid that major step.

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Re: automatic logon

Do you have anything like TweakUI or Tweakall installed??? They can automatically log on for you.

New Lounger
    Thanks

I did check Tweakui and found that it was not set to log on automatically. I then did another scan by Ad Aware and looked at the processes that were running as noted in the log. A .exe showed up that I could not identify.

Re scanned my entire harddrive with Inoculate PE and found 2 trojans from the same root program,
    qxcppehnwpfcy.exe - Win32.SubSeven.214.B trojan AND fcoiyqohgbhn.exe - Win32.SubSeven.22.ldr trojan

After i got rid of these everything was back to normal. I do have real time scanning enabled but it somehow got through. I do update the definition file every few weeks, maybe it was between updates that the trojan found a crack.

Thanks for the suggestion, I hadn't realized that tweakui could start a connection until you pointed it out.

Russ

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Hi, I know you've solved your problem, but I was just browsing by...

I've encountered automatic logon many times before on our office's networked 95 PCs. Its always been caused by a registry entry. The rogue entry can be found at:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINESoftwareMicrosoftWindowsCurrentV ersionNetworkReal Mode Net

Look for a binary value called "AutoLogon" equal to 00; if you've have it, delete it to stop auto logon.

No idea where it comes from or how it happens!

Cheers,

Ade

Super Moderator
    Thanks

You stated "No idea where it comes from or how it happens!"
    With RealPlayer, this is part of the installation and or update. One is NOT given the choice to say NO.

Now running HP Pavilion a6528p, with Win7 64 Bit OS.

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Useful info, thanks for that.

Ade