5 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Ghost changes to Normal.dot (Word2002)

If I open WORD and immediately close it again (even without opening/loading any document!), I get a message that the Normal template was changed and a question if I should want to save it (Note: I have enabled that option ["Prompt to save Normal template"]).

I thought at first, this was something related to one of my PC's, as the second system I'm using didn't do that (nor did it ever happen to me in the past). Now, like magic, the behavior has switched between my systems: the first no longer behaves like this while now the second one does....???

To make things more cryptic still... I have NO add-ons loaded. Replying YES to the prompt doesn't make a difference, it just happens again the next time I close WORD.

Anyone who knows what's changing my NORMAL.dot??

Uranium Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Ghost changes to Normal.dot (Word2002)

Hi Erik:
    Even though you say you have no add-ins loaded, I would still go through the steps in <post#=197827>post 197827</post#>. Another possibility is a virus, of course, but then one would wonder what "fixed" it on the first machine. I would also end task on everything except Explorer & Word to see if some other application that is loaded is causing it (after running a virus check).
    Hope this helps,

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Ghost changes to Normal.dot (Word2002)

Thanks, will do that.

Did you read WOW #9.01??? I was stunned by the resemblance... (I know it is also different, but still...) here's the paragraph copied:
    <font color=blue>
    4. OUTLOOK 2003 CHANGING NORMAL.DOT
    Allllrighteee then...

If WinFax Pro is the source of the Outlook 2003 hang problem, what's causing Outlook 2003 to exit with the message "Changes have been made that affect the global template, Normal.dot. Do you want to save those changes?"

Yes, I know that's WordMail raising its evil head. No, I don't know why - particularly because the message appears when there's been absolutely nothing done (in either Outlook or Word) that should change normal.dot.

Anybody know the answer?