Star Lounger
    Thanks

Posting Word Templates w/Macros on Intranet (n/a)

Hi,
    We have a word template (protected form) with macros, posted on a company intranet. Remote locations access the company intranet via the web. When they click the template icon, it opens as read-only and the macros don't load. Is there a way to post the template so that either the actual template can be downloaded onto the individual's computer (with the macros intact) - or they can open a document based on the template while still logged onto the intranet, and have the macros load properly, fill out the form and then save the completed form (.doc) to their individual computer?
    Thanks.

Uranium Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Posting Word Templates w/Macros on Intranet (n

Hi Sherry:
    To link a template to the Intranet, you should create Shortcuts to each and point the hyperlink to the shortcut. The shortcut should start Word but use your specific template instead of the Normal. e.g. the shortcut command line would read:

C:Program FilesMicrosoft OfficeOfficeWinword.exe /tTemplateName.dot
    where TemplateName.dot is the name of the template. Modify the path to point to Winword.exe.
    Hope this helps,

Thanks

Re: Posting Word Templates w/Macros on Intranet (n/a)

Every solution involves different issues. If shortcuts don't work for you, I posted a long time ago a proposed scripting solution. See Re: Generate a new doc from a dot on the web (Word 97/SR2). It has been so long since I've done that... I'm not sure it really solves the problem, but it's there just in case you need an alternative.

Super Moderator
    Thanks

Re: Posting Word Templates w/Macros on Intranet (n

Phil and Sherry

I think that the shortcut described above is a little problematic as it pre-supposes where the user has installed Word. I would just rely on the user having dot files already associated with Word and link to that file only but include the /n switch to create a new file based on the template as per the normal 'double-click' action. Here is a link to a previous thread which might help. Post 239240

If you do a search on some of the keywords you will find several threads.
    Andrew Lockton, Chrysalis Design, Melbourne Australia