Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Re: access form auto fill (access 2000)

If you really want to let the user pick the Customer ID, you can do it as follows:
    - Set the Row Source of the combo box to the name of a query that selects Customer ID and Customer Name from the Customers master table, sorted the way you want.
    - Set the Column Count property of the combo box to 2
    - Set the Column Widths to 1",0" (for example)
    - Put a text box on the form with Control Source =cboCustomer.Column(1) where cboCustomer is the name of the combo box
    Note: the columns of a list box or combo box are numbered starting at 0, so Column(1) is the second column.

New Lounger
    Thanks

access form auto fill (access 2000)

(Edited by HansV to remove superfluous line ends - the browser will automatically wrap the text.)

Can anyone help on how to auto fill a field in an access form? I have a data entry form which includes Customer ID, Customer Name, Product, Transaction Date, etc. What my problem is trying to automate the customer name in the form whenever I enter a customer ID? I have tried doing the combo box with a record source from the properties field for customer name however, I only get a drop down arrow key which gives you a selection of the various customer's name with the corresponding Customer ID. This is an alternative but the "data entry person" will still have to browse thru to get the correct customer name. The customer name is derived from a customer master table when I created the combo box.

The purpose is to automatically have the customer name pop up once I entered the customer ID and update the "orders table " on all the information entered on the form. I only have two tables. One master customer table and the Orders table that gets updated whenever data is entered on the form.

I have look into the tradewinds database sample and on the orders form, the customer ship to information automatically picks up the customer name whenever the billing to information is entered. I wanted something similar however, I can't figure it out.

Please help and thank you.

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Re: access form auto fill (access 2000)

Alternatively, you could let the user select a Customer Name and fill in the Customer ID automatically. Use a combo box as described in my previous reply, but set the Column Widths to 0",1", and omit the text box.