2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Variable Name Syntax

I am trying to use a Global variable in an OpenForm command as the source of the value to be searched for, e.g. DoCmd.OpenForm "xyz",,"[Global Variable] = [Search Key]". I have tried the variable name with and without brackets and neither works.

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Variable Name Syntax

You need an additional comma.

Try DoCmd.OpenForm "xyz",,,"[Global Variable] = [Search Key]".

Richard Aheron
    raheron@hotmail.com
    Richard

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

OK, if the Global Variable is Global Variable, what does [Search Key] represent? You can't have a space in a variable name, so assuming that Global Variable is NOT the name of the variable, you could try this:

DoCmd.OpenForm "xyz",,,"[" & GlobalVariable & "]=SearchKey"

However, if Search Key is also a variable, you would have to concatenate it as well as the global variable and put it on the outside of the quote.
    Charlotte

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Thank you for responding to a poorly formed question. Based on your suggestions, I tried the following code that actually seems to work in Access 2000:

DoCmd.OpenForm "Edit IPC", , , [lastIPCKEY] & " = [IPC KEY]", acFormReadOnly

lastIPCKEY is a Global Variable, IPC KEY is a data element in the table attached to the form Edit IPC.

Now I need to get the same function to work in Access 2. I tried the following code:

DoCmd OpenForm "Edit IPC", , , [lastIPCKEY] & " = [IPC Key]", A_READONLY

but I get a compile error message : Invalid Object Reference that refers to [lastIPCKEY]. Obviously there is some syntax difference between A2 and A2000 that I am missing.

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

I don't know why it worked in Access 2000 either. Here's the syntax that should work in all versions:

DoCmd OpenForm "Edit IPC", , , "[" & lastIPCKEY & "] = [IPC Key]", A_READONLY
    Charlotte