Thanks

Reinstall on New HDD (2000 SR-1 (X05-40491))

I should open by confessing that I am a 'luddite' who has stuck with Win98 SE-2 (4.10.2221).

I would like to move my MS Office installation (2000 SR-1 (X05-40491)) from my C: drive (it's getting full) to a partition on a larger HDD.

I thought I'd ask before I get myself in trouble. Do I need to uninstall everything on C: before I undertake the install on G: ?

I do not use Outlook or Outlook Express at all. I prefer using Mozilla to IE (I have 6.0.2800.1106IC installed). I resort to IE only when a webmaster has been persuaded to install 'bells and whistles' that do not render properly with Mozilla 1.4 (Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Win98; en-US; rv:1.4) Gecko/20030624).

How much should I expect to 'lose' when I reinstall? I guess I should expect to re-establish all my preferences in Word again. It gets hard to remember just what I've done. I gave up on installing WOPR 97 after I bought it. There was earlier WOPR stuff buried in my normal.dot that I could not get out, and I did not want to lose a bunch of macros I'd created. Perhaps it is time to start over there, too. I guess that Word 2000 has its own WOPR 2000. Do most users find the upgrade worth buying and learning?

Can I set up a new path (on another partition of the larger HDD) for "My Documents" and then move everything now on C: over there when the path is established?

Thanks for any observations, suggestions, etc.

John
    Baumgrenze
    Hier sind wir tief eingewurzelt.

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Reinstall on New HDD (2000 SR-1 (X05-40491))

I would think that the simplest and safest thing to do would be to start by moving your data (ie: my documents) over to the new drive. Start by copying the my documents folder to the new drive, and then change the location of My Documents using TweakUI (it's been a while since I used 98, but I believe it was there, under My Computer). Once everything checks out you can delete the folder from C: This should free up quite a bit of space, and future docs will take up space on G: and not C:. You could also move any other documents not stored in My Docs over, and point to them through the programs that use them.

You can actually have more than one copy of Office available on one computer, and you could install Office on G: fresh, and once you got it set up (macros running, etc) then remove the original Office from C:, but this can be dicey. You can't of course just move the Office folders over, everything needs to be re-registered, and that means an uninstall - reinstall. But from your description, C: is "getting full", so it's not too late to separate your docs from your programs, which is generally a good idea if you can do it. That way if you do need to reformat/reinstall windows and or office, your data is relatively safe on another hd.

If I'm wrong about TweakUI, My Documents can still be moved via a registry change. Check back with progress updates!

kip

Thanks

kip,

Thanks for the input.

"Nothing is truly fool-proof to ............

I copied the "My Documents" folder to the new disk.

I found TweakUI at Annoyances. I downloaded it and carefully installed it. My MSCONFIG shows that I should be loading the following item on StartUp: RUNDLL32.EXE TweakUI.CPL, TweakMeUp. But I do not find the advertised icon in the system tray?

Do I need to try another install, or perhaps it will show up next time I boot?

Thanks again,

John
    Baumgrenze

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

You find it in the control panel, not the system tray.
    Charlotte

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

TweakUI has always been a powertoy. Versions of it were available for download and it was usually included in the Resource Kit for Windows.
    Charlotte

Thanks

Thank you Charlotte for the instant responce!

After I posted I did a quick Google search on install TweakUI and read about navigating to the Control Panel. Now that I look carefully, I see that "Annoyances" told me to go there, too.

How quickly we misread what is right in front of us when we are in a hurry.

Thanks again, everyone,

John
    Baumgrenze

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Well credit yourself for being sufficiently talented, at least!!! Glad you followed the directions to copy and not move the files over, just in case. Let us know how it all comes out.

kip
    quite sufficiently talented myself, thank you.

Thanks

kip,

Thanks for asking. I seem to have it all working (the migration of "My Documents" that is). The only thing that fails in the short term is the 'recent files' list, which can't find the file but tells me where to look. Go figure?

Thanks for the encouragement from everybody.

Anybody want to comment on their experiences with WOPR for Word 2000, or is this an inappropriate place for such a thread to develop?

John

John
    Baumgrenze

Thanks

The WOPR Forum is probably the best place to discuss it!