3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

windows media player cant play dvd

I use my WMP8 (OS XP home) for playing / copying audio - and occassionaly playback DVDs. Not used DVD for few weeks but now as soon as I put in DVD get "windows media player has encountered a problem and needs to close"

Follow the link to error report but cant seem to see a relevant number to investigate (and wouldnt know how to anway) just a load of version numbers for an error signature.

Tried looking at event viewer and just has a similar thing i.e. "Faulting application wmplayer.exe.........fault address 0X00039f48.

Tried searching various places e.g...Google.. wmp ...for answers ...plus MSKB ..all throw up the same suggestions of setting video acceleration to zero or update video card driver but if things worked OK last month why should it change suddenly.

also have Power dvd player and get the same error notification with that almost identical.

WMP does play audio video files I've created

Any guidance on this would be appreciated.

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Re: windows media player cant play dvd

Do you have NVidia video drivers?

It may be a problem with a file named clsvd.ax belonging to PowerDVD in combination with a recent update to the NVidia video driver.

Suggestion 1: do a Start | Search for this file, then rename it, for example to clsvd.axx. If that remedies the problem, leave it like that, otherwise restore the original name.

Suggestion 2: going back to a previous version of your NVidia video driver may help - see here.

Uranium Lounger
    Thanks

Have you tried any other media players to see if it is related to DVDs in general or if it is specific to WMP?
    -Mark

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Some progress, yes NVIDIA G force and yes there was a file clvsd.ax So I renamed as per your suggestion to clvsd.axx and....POWER DVD works OK but media player wont but at least it now shows an ERROR ID = 0XCOOD116A REMEDY ID = 0X00000000.
    Regards your other link...I havent tried rolling back driver because I see from windows update that there is a new driver available and wonder if this would be a better option though at 12.5 mb on a dial up connection this means around 55 minutes to download!

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Yes POWER DVD and the same problem but as you can see from the above reply by changing the file name that now works.

However media player doesnt so some more investigation to be done yet, keep the suggestions coming please?

Uranium Lounger
    Thanks

You are on a dial up, so I am loathe to suggest this because I have no idea if it will work or not. But if you are willing to try....

Try running DirectX setup and upgrading it or repairing the installation. I think it is possible that the filters (DirectShow, likely) required for DVD playback became unregistered or damaged, and this would fix that layer. The important point here is that it is not application specific, it has to do with your video rendering layer.
    -Mark

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

This is now annoying me as so far cant find a fix, however your Directx rang a bell in so much that I remember installing a program before xmas (a typwriting tutor) part of the installation said do you want to install direct x 7 and I did so... thinking this may have caused a conflict I have uninstalled this program and all the related files (still have a Direct X folder in Win 32) but the problem remains. media player dont like dvds, though by re naming the clvsd.ax on Power dvd I can play dvd using that
    I dont want to give up on this yet. How do I repair the Direct x setup as per suggestion.

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Do you happen to have a CD-ROM at hand with a more recent version of DirectX? Some software (in particular games) includes DirectX on the CD. The current version is DirectX is 9.0b, but it is a HUGE download. DirectX 8 is more likely to be found on CD-ROMs and would probably be adequate.

You could also try installing Windows Media Player 9, but again, it is a large download (over 13 MB).

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

It's been a long and frustrating weekend/to date, searching forums Knowledge Bases etc but looks like I made it. By the simple and obvious route eventually, thanks to your guidance.
    PowerDVD have a patch for my version of DVD player and after two failed downloads from the manufacturer site (Cyberlink) managed to get it from Dell of all places (probably as it came bundled with the computer?) That got the Power DVD working but still no go with WMP (which I had upgraded to WMP 9) but at least a proper error message ID which I could follow through to find relates to video, so another download from Dell again for the Nvidia Geforce card and ...there it is...all working again ...so far!!
    Thanks to all for the initial input which set me on the right road to resolve this thing, which has got me thinking about downloading updates via a friends computer (ASDL) and copying to cd to transfer to mine but this is a different subject I would guess so may make another post.

Uranium Lounger
    Thanks

Well, as long as you're talking about media player updates (such as PowerDVD) I regularly do that with the small 3.5" CDs. Each app that I purchase gets backed up onto one of those with the current patches, etc.

For that matter, you can group similar applications on these tiny CDR discs and keep your purchases safe and neatly tucked away.

If you want to discuss burning techniques further, though, I would post such questions in Software Finds and Wants.
    -Mark