Bronze Lounger
    Thanks

Photo default format (XP)

I've long used OE as my newsreader, and I frequently save photos that are posted in a certain newsgroup. The process typically goes like this: I click on a message, and the photo opens. In almost every case, the photo appears in JPEG format. Then I right-click on the photo and choose Save photo as.... In the dialog box, .jpg is the default format, just as the file name says. However, just a few days ago, I noticed the dialog box gives me just one choice: .bmp, even though the photo is in .jpg. What brought about this change? FWIT: I use ACDSee.

Thanks

Re: Photo default format (XP)

I believe this is a common problem stemming from IE.
    Check out
    260650 - Internet Explorer Does Not Save Graphics Files in the Proper Format
    and see if that helps.

Bronze Lounger
    Thanks

Yessiree! That's exactly what's going on! I'll explore this further, now that I've got that article to use. Thanks!

One more question, though: The article mentions one possible cause that relates to using a password. Hm-m-m...just about the time this problem developed, I started using a password to log onto my WinXP(Home) user profile. Is that what the article is talking about?

Thanks

Not sure of the password issue, I suppose the image will be held in a temporary folder in your profile which will be password protected...
    Should be easy enough to find out though! - can you reset your profile to not a need a password to test the theory?

Bronze Lounger
    Thanks

It wasn't the password. It was my Temporary Internet Files. I dumped the whole lot of them, and the problem's solved. Thanks again for the tip!