4 Star Lounger
    Thanks

System MDW is locked by admin (Access 97 SR2)

I have a VB program which copies a source database to a user folder and opens the database when they click on the .exe

This is used on a terminal server and works fine until someone with Admin rights opens the database first.
    This locks the system.mdw in the system 32 directory and returns the error System 32 already in use to anyone attempting to open the database after this.

At this stage i'm still looking for info on the error and my question is:

Does anyone have any idea whether this is likely to be an Access error or a terminal server error as I have never encountered the error before and have little experience using Terminal server?

I know TS uses the same resources for all users so I would take a guess that everyone uses the same system.mdw
    If Admin rights opens the DB after a regular user, it still works fine, it only happens if admin rights opens it first.

Any help would be much appreciated.

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Re: System MDW is locked by admin (Access 97 SR2)

(Edited by HansV to make URL clickable - see <!help=19>Help 19<!/help>)

After a bit more looking, I found the following page:
    http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=301966

This page explains that a script needs to be run on Terminal server (office97.cmd), so ill be giving that a go as soon as our terminal server users have gone home.

Super Moderator
    Thanks

Re: System MDW is locked by admin (Access 97 SR2)

Hi Phil,
    Another possible solution is to give each user their own set of personal folders on the TerminalServer, and then give each user their own copy of the system.mdw. In Access 97 it isn't uncommon for a crash to occur and cause a locking problem with the system.mdw when everyone is using the same file - by giving each user their own copy you avoid those kind of problems.
    Wendell