New Lounger
    Thanks

Visual Basic Ver.6 (MS Visual Basic 6)

How can I get Vb6 to read/use a database file from Access?
    I should like also to to get Access to read VB database files without have to convert them first.

Tony

Thanks

Re: Visual Basic Ver.6 (MS Visual Basic 6)

> How can I get Vb6 to read/use a database file from Access?

You can use ADO (ActiveX Data Objects) to read and write MDB files. Since I don't use Visual Studio, I don't know whether it contains a convenient wizard for that or whether you need to code it by hand.

> I should like also to to get Access to read VB database files without have to convert them first.

While you cannot open a different-format database in Access without a convert/open prompt, you can open a database that links to a different-format MDB without any complaints. So, if you need to create an MDB in a format different than your current version(s) of Access, I suggest creating one or more intermediary files for the Access users that link to your tables.

Super Moderator
    Thanks

Re: Visual Basic Ver.6 (MS Visual Basic 6)

It's another reason for splitting the Access database into a front-end and a back-end. That way you can work with the data in either environment. VB is split to begin with, so leave your back-end in that format as Jefferson suggests, and do you front-end in the version of Access that you have. If you want more details on how to do that see Why Split a Database?.
    Wendell