Lounger
    Thanks

auto complete? (IE 6.0)

Example: When I typed "i" into the version field, the computer offered up "IE 6.0" to click on instead of typing the rest of the text.
    1. I doubt this is part of IE; maybe it's the operating system. Does anybody know who owns this, and what the file is called.
    2. More important, how can I edit this to remove outdated stuff, such as old email addresses.
    3. Finally, is there a way of moving this to my new computer, which runs XP?
    Thanx, Al

Thanks

Re: auto complete? (IE 6.0)

This is an IE-specific feature, I believe, but because IE components are used in various parts of Windows, it might appear elsewhere.

You can choose what to AutoComplete here: Tools>Internet Options>Content>AutoComplete.

As for whether the "database" of past entries is portable, perhaps a search (here, web, or MS) would turn that up?

Uranium Lounger
    Thanks

Hi Al:
    For AutoComplete on forms or passwords, you can simply highlight any "autocomplete" item and hit the delete key; or right click on any autocomplete item and select delete from the context menu. You also can erase all autocomplete entries at once by clicking to Tools/Internet Options/Content/ and then selecting "Autocomplete" and using the offered options to clear various kinds of saved information. NOTE: this does NOT work with URLs. That is part of the index.dat file. You either have to clear history (& typed URLs, which can be individually deleted or deleted in the registry at HKEY_CURRENT_USERSoftwareMicrosoftInternet ExplorerTypedURLs) or boot to DOS & delete the index.dat file. After the history is deleted, the index.dat file is recreated when the computer is restarted.
    Hope this helps,

Uranium Lounger
    Thanks

Which version of Windows? Newer versions of Windows inte-grate this "IntelliSense" technology into the shell as well as into Internet Explorer, so to disable fully it we need to know what platform you are using.
    -Mark

Lounger
    Thanks

Great, I understand how to edit it.
    So the remaining questions is how to move it from Windows 98 to XP.
    Thanx, Al