Lounger
    Thanks

OE vs. Eudora (general)

On getting my new computer, I need to choose between OE (which comes free) or *buying* the latest version of Eudora. My old computer runs a very old version of Eudora, which I believe is supposed to be more immune to virus email. Is this true?
    In other words, is the current version of Eudora supposed to be any safer than Outlook Express?
    Thanks, Al

Thanks

Re: OE vs. Eudora (general)

I can't tell you from experience, but I can say this: most malware that arrives by mail is designed to exploit weaknesses in Internet Explorer (such as auto-executing files that are falsely identified as audio clips) or in your resistance to temptation (that is, to trick you into clicking a link or opening a file). So if the non-Microsoft mail program uses Internet Explorer components to render HTML messages, and you use the same antivirus software in both cases, it will be just as good and just as bad as Outlook Express on most security issues. Some mailers, such as those based on Mozilla code, appear to use non-IE web browser components, thus providing a potentially less attractive target for miscreants.

Platinum Lounger
    Thanks

Re: OE vs. Eudora (general)

You could also try Mozilla Thunderbird - which is a Mail and Newsgroups only component and is also free. It imports both Eudora and OE mail archives.
    Gre