Thanks

Server software?

Scenario:
    The organization has multiple databases, in multiple formats, using multiple software packages. Currently they are not installed on every desktop.
    Requirement:
    To make it possible for an individual(s) to login to these databases from their workstation without having to have the software installed locally. There is no plan to amalgamate the DBs into a single DB or format (indeed since some of them are proprietary scientific databases it isn't possible).
    The Dim Memory:
    I recall seeing a few years ago, a client scenario that addressed this type of issue. The clients could have "anything" installed on their local machines", the organization wanted to give them access to a standard set of programs. In this case the client would access their backend servers using a VPN connection. Once connected, they were presented with a desktop holding the standard software tools.
    I think it was an MS server product, but I am not aware of the name.

Any suggestions?
    [b]Catharine Richardson (WebGenii)
    WebGenii Home Page
    Moderator: Spreadsheets, Other MS Apps, Presentation Apps, Visual Basic for Apps, Windows Mobile

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Server software?

Could you do something with Terminal Server? Install all the packages on your terminal server system and connect to it from the various clients?

StuartR

Silver Lounger
    Thanks

I know we're using a CITRIX solution for something like that here at work. But I couldn't tell you anything other than that about it.
    Christopher Baldrey

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks

This is a stab in the dark because it all depends on budget, number of users, skill sets, etc. but Windows 2000/2003 with Active Directory would do this, assuming this is a Windows house. For better stability I would go with Novell's Netware but that requires a different skill set.

Sorry if this is vague but it is much like asking "what is the best car for me".
    Granville

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks

..or then again there are the Unix/Linx options. (Before Mike jumps in!!)
    Granville

Super Moderator
    Thanks

Stuart's suggestion of Windows Terminal Server is a choice we have experience with. We've used it successfully to work remotely with clients, and we have one client where most of the people (up to 9) work from home on a fairly modest workstation that connects to a Win2003 server - in this case they are all accessing a front-end Access database, but there's no reason it couldn't be almost any application that can support concurrent access. (Note that Citrix is a similar service but on steroids - as I understand it, MS bought the basic technology from them.) If you want more specific details about these kinds of facilities post back.
    Wendell

Thanks

If all the databases are on one server then Terminal Services could be worth testing. Active directory can also help. Without knowing the applications involved makes this reply a general one only, as some apps can work with thin clients (eg Citrix) whilst others cannot. Perhaps you need to talk to a systems integrator to come up with a workable and costed plan. HTH
    Paul Coyle
    Approach love and cooking with reckless abandon

Thanks

Do you know the name of the Novell Product? -- I don't expect a prescription, just a place to start researching.Thanks everybody these are great suggestions!
    WebGenii Home Page
    Moderator: Spreadsheets, Other MS Apps, Presentation Apps, Visual Basic for Apps, Windows Mobile

Thanks

Er, I thought Active Directory was for DNS- not actually running software.
    WebGenii Home Page

Thanks

Quite right for the DNS aspect. We use active directory to have standard profiles that run on log on to download mappings, updates etc. My thoughts, which may be off beam as well as off the cuff, would be in the realms off having the same mappings and updated services. Sorry I was not more specific.
    Paul Coyle
    Approach love and cooking with reckless abandon

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks

I'm guessing you are talking a smaller operation so here is the link to Novell's Small Business Suite. If this isn't suitable just go to the "Products" tab at the top of the page.
    Granville